New to Forum

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Greetings from the 101st Pennsylvania.
Our unit is a legacy unit in that it is entirely made up of descendants of the 101st Pennsylvania. We are always looking for other descendants whether they are interested in participating in this hobby or not.
We have many descendant members scattered across the states of PA, Maryland, West Va, and even South Carolina. We have extensive research documentation and and photographs of many of the veterans of the 101st and would like to talk to you. If you had an ancestor in the 101st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry please contact me at [email protected].
As I said I am new to this forum and look forward to interacting with the members.

Karl Feldmeyer
101st PVI Descendants Society

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Warm welcomes, Karl. You'll find interesting conversation here. Ole

olerebel

Cadet
It's good to see another person with history on the brain. While many people here disagree on the issues, our quest for knowledge gives us something in common. You learn very little from a person who's views are like your own.

william42

First Sergeant
Welcome to the board Karl! Enjoy the many different opinions posted here, as it will help clarify your own. I've never heard of a legacy unit before, but I'm not a re-enactor so there's a lot I don't know. Are you all of German heritage? Just curious, as I know some regiments from PA were composed largely of German immigrants. Take care.

Terry

Thanks

:beer: Thanks guys!

I've been doing this since about 1974 and done most everything except firing the big guns! Used to be the QM for the ANV during the 125th events and up until 92. In answer to Terry, yes there is a lot of deutsche linage here and some that the family would like to hide, nuf said there.

The Legacy unit title is a relatively new term as there have not been too may units out there made up of descendants of the unit they portray. It was given to us during a Virginia event a few years ago. We have been very lucky with the amount of documentation and all of the photographs of the original veterans and have reenacting and non-reenacting memebers totaling over 100 with the reenacting branch being the smallest.

We mainly portray a colorguard and mainly participate as the colorguard for opening ceremonies, parades and memorial services. We were lucky enough to be asked to be the official colorguard for the grand review 2000 in Harrisburg PA and were able to return the colors of the 101st to the state capitol that day. It was the final act that needed to be completed for our ancestors as the 101st colors were never returned at the end of the war so it was an honor to complete this for our grandfathers. We do also participate in reenactments but try to focus on living history displays whenever possible.

Thanks again for the welcome and I look foreward to meeting some of you in person.

ewc

Sergeant
Welcome aboard, private! No worries- you'll soon make corporal posting at the rate you are- good for you, jump in with both feet!! Enjoy Karl, we all do!! ed

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Please add my hearty welcome to the pile. A man with a warm spot in his heart for his ancestors is a credit to his land.

Fifth Iowa

Private
Descendants

Welcome, Karl. That's quite a heritage for your regiment. Very neat to have the descendants of the actual soldiers serving together today.