New Texas Recruit

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

FSPowers

Cadet
Greetings from San Antonio,

I stumbled on this site last weekend and it seems that I found a wonderful forum on Civil War Issues.

To introduce myself, my name is Fred S. Powers. I will post under FSPowers. I got hit with the CW bug in 1972 when my Dad took me to Gettysburg. I plan a return trip in 2007.

I became "reinterested" in 1990 while on duty in the USAF in England when I discovered magazines like "America's Civil War" and "Civil War Times". I'm a 21 year veteran of the Air Force and still serve as a Reservist (433 Airlift Wing). After 19 years as a Security Forces Member, a medical condition forced me into Education and Training.

I have a Bachelors and a Master Degree in History from a non-traditional (distance education) school that is accredited by an international agency which is not recognized by the US Department of Education. Because of that, I will not claim to be an expert, but I can say that I'm self taught. (A recent application to the National Archives with that information was rated at 93%, so I don't see that much of a problem. )

My favorite historians are Catton, Winik, Davis, Robertson, McPherson, Pohanka, Foote, and Bearss.

My CW library holds almost 200 books.

I own a few relics, including a company roster of Co. 10, Ohio Independent Sharpshooters (they became part of the 60th Ohio) which names an ancestor, Arnuah Norton, who died in Salisbury, NC prison on Nov 3, 1964. I also have scant knowledge of two Confederate officers who are ancestors.

I hope to one day take up reenacting. To that effect, I'm having two uniforms made and I own an reproduction Enfield rifle and I recently purchased some equipment.

I actually gave a lecture on the assault on Marye's Heights during an Air Force Reserve Instructor Course this past April.

I have visited Vicksburg, Mobile Bay, Beauvoir (Jefferson Davis' last house), Kennesaw Mountain, Andersonville, and the Naval Museum at Port Columbus, GA.

I look forward to talking with other CW fans.

sockknitter

Sergeant
Welcome to you, FSPowers. You sound motivated and educated, and I'm SURE you will enjoy reading and possibly contributing here. The posts are almost always on topic. From a fellow (kind of) Texan (have lived in the DFW area 21 years).

dawna

First Sergeant
A warm Welcome FSPowers. I look forward to your postings.

Dawna

A

aphillbilly

FSPowers

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it much as I have.
YMOS
tommy

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
A fellow USAF vet welcomes you I hope you will enjoy what you find here. Feel free to paruse the Re-enactors Forum hopefully you'll find some good and enjoyable info there.

ewc

Sergeant
Glad to have you aboard, Fred. Jump right in! regards, ed I think you'll like it here, lot of us self educated beastlings!! I'll take the word of folks here over a goodly number of 'credentialed' types.

sgtcsa

Cadet
Fred,
Let me welcome you to this board also. As a former memember of the USAF (Only 4 years, though), and also stationed in England, which seems far too many years ago to even remember, at RAF Brize Norton, not far, about 18 miles, from Oxford. I'm certain you will add to the colorful group that we have here. Again, welcome.

Respectfull,
SgtCSA

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Fred, thanks for bringing in two more Confederates. Now if we can only find their names! Welcome to the board, some mighty nice folks here.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
FSPowers,

Welcome to the board and to the ongoing learning sessions conducted here. Please feel free to jump into any debate that goes on here, especially if you have a different take on the views already voiced here. No telling where the next learning point will come from or from who.

We have members from all over the country and outside of it, and we have learned much from one another. I hope you will enjoy your time here as much as I do.

Welcome!

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Calicoboy

Corporal
Huzzah

Sir,

Welcome to this fine forum. Enjoy the camaraderie and information. My wife is from Texas, so I know the state. I salute any veteran. I, myself spent my service with a three letter intelligence agency that will remain unnamed. Good to have you on board

Calicoboy

I thought I was alone in this great big world. Im new here and Im a Texan as well. 8th generation. Ive had family here since Texas was a part of Mexico. God Bless Texas Suh

Jeremy

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
TexasRebel1980,

Welcome to the board and the rest of the Union, sir.:smile:

Hope you will enjoy your time here and join us in a thread of your liking.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
PS Family here in Ohio since the state was a member of the Union. God Bless America, Sir.

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Welcome to the board from us Southerners as well. I'm one of those fence sitters, just trying to keep from getting shot by both sides. Proud to have a representative of Hood's Division at Gettysburg in our midst!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!