New regiment

97th NYV

Private
After searching the web I have been unable to find a group that reenacts the 97th NYV. I am going to look into the possibility of forming a new group. My questions to this form is, has anyone here started a new group? What did you use as a template to start? I know I will have more questions but I'm sure I will get pointed in the right direction. My beginning goals would be to educate the local area and do local parades in Boonville, NY and and the surrounding area. As the group increases do some reenacting. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

After searching the web I have been unable to find a group that reenacts the 97th NYV. I am going to look into the possibility of forming a new group. My questions to this form is, has anyone here started a new group? What did you use as a template to start? I know I will have more questions but I'm sure I will get pointed in the right direction. My beginning goals would be to educate the local area and do local parades in Boonville, NY and and the surrounding area. As the group increases do some reenacting. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Back in 95 myself and 3 other guys left a unit and started our own over group political reasons. The death of many civil war units,,,,,,lol. Anyway, one of the first things to do is file for a historical, non profit, incorporation status. By doing this, it reduces some of the liability on the indivdual and gives a tax break. It is a very simple form, only costs about 50 dollars, and took about 6 weeks to process. Next, decide what you want to be. Do you want to be hardcore, mainstream, a living history group, whatever. Set up your identity and seek same minded people. Next, you have to hustle your butt off to recruit. After you get just a few members, fall in with other groups to get some exposure. While at the events, your main goal must be recruiting. Stand at the end of the company street, greet all spectators, sell yourself and the hobby. If you dont do this, good luck at attracting members because many other units will be doing this and since they can show a finished product, (much larger company) they usually can beat you at recruiting. Do some talks at high schools, sometimes you get recruits there. I use to wear a forage hat all the time when not reenacting. You would be surprised at how many cw conversations were started from just that and I recruited some of my best soldiers that way. Anyway, within 3 years we were up to 46 soldiers and 13 civillian impressions.

97th NYV, sir;

You may wish to contact the U.S.Volunteers (re-enactment organization); if there is difficulty in finding their contact information, I recommend contacting the 3rd US Regular Infantry, Co. "K" reenactors (Buffsticks); their Military Commander, First Lieutenant Jason Eckhart or First Sergeant Paul Stier would more than likely know the contact information. They may also be able to help you with the formation of a non-profit organization and the pitfalls.

This group may be able to guide you to an existing Maryland organization in re-enactment, as to fulfill all the rules of law regarding Maryland.

Third US Regular Infantry Reenactors

www.buffsticks.us/ - Similarto Third US Regular Infantry Reenactors
The Third U.S Regular Infantry is a Civil War living history group dedicated to educating the public on the life of the U.S. Regular infantry soldier of the period ...
[ More results from www.buffsticks.us]

I know they have assisted in drilling new units just starting up.

Have you contacted the Southern Division? They galvanize and don't know which Union units they represent. That may be another source of contact.

Just some thoughts.

M. E. Wolf

Its my understanding that the 501c3 status is much harder to get and more costly... That could just be the great state of NY though. Can anyone shed some light on this for me as we have not done so yet. Incorporating is an excellent idea if possible.

Back