New Redskins stadium would impact S. Mountain Battlefield and obliterate Oxen Cove Natl. Park

In the article from the Washington Post just posted above, it says: "Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has also spoken glowingly about having the Redskins return to their original stadium at RFK Stadium in the District."

Wow - who is going to pay for that? Given the unique circumstances of the District of Columbia, this will be Federal tax dollars most likely...

Geez,
USS ALASKA

Beautiful and historic areas should not be cleared so that a relatively small number of paying customers can be admitted to a stadium that will be used a handful of days each year.

Sir, it appears that you want logic and common sense injected into a purely political decision...huh, now there's a thought...:wink:

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

There an article in today's Washington Post Metro section about the battlefield for football field land swap in Maryland featuring an interview with Paul J. Gilligan, owner of P.J. Gilligan's Dry Goods. If you ever get to Burkettsville, be sure to visit--it's a working reproduction of 19th century dry goods store. The article has a picture of the interior of the shop (below).

View attachment 273749
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9f77a3bcb6c_story.html?utm_term=.d6ff705db2b2
I love Burkettsville. Next time I visit the historic village I will take in the store.

I live in this area...and don't necessarily think this is a bad thing...I'm cautious...but willing to listen.

There is nothing at the site proposed for the stadium...There was nothing at the site where they built the MGM / National harbor complex...This is all tied into trying to revitalize and modernize the Southeast side of the city / metropolis...even The Nationals stadium was tied to this whole situation...all 3 jurisdictions are on board with the push...

The South Mountain area...would be tied in with the Antietam battlefield area just up the road...again, not necessarily a bad thing...Antietam is VERY well maintained and preserved, uncluttered...So, I'm cautiously willing to listen.....If the feds eventually have their way...this whole area is going to be one big blob of park-controlled- land (The Harpers Ferry area included)....It's a pain in the butt now, to try and do anything in this area because of the historical impacts (dealing with historical buildings, lands, etc...that require extra mountains of paperwork...only to be denied...which you knew would happen even before you try...)

Obviously, the devil is in the details....let's see what they are before giving in to the knee jerk reactions....

I can see why the state would be interested in considering this swap....think about it...The State Park needs to be maintained and preserved...no modernization and development allowed...and they (the state) have to pay to maintain it...The proposed stadium site...would bring in big tax dollars for the state's coffers.....

So....let's see....a big tax dollar windfall for the state..vs. a big money drain for the state on the other side of the books...hhmmmmmmmm....which to choose if I'm the Governor?......

The issue with anything like this will be: "well, since we built this stadium, we'll need stores, restaurants, etc. And if we get those, then housing is needed". It'll never end.

The issue with anything like this will be: "well, since we built this stadium, we'll need stores, restaurants, etc. And if we get those, then housing is needed". It'll never end.

You, Sir...are correct....which is why the local govts in that area are interested in doing it....there is nothing on that site....an open field reclaimed from a toxic waste cleanup....That is what happened with the baseball team's stadium...the DC govt insisted that the stadium be built on the Southeast side of the city because....nothing was there...and they correctly saw it as an opportunity to get the economic development there, all the while PO'ing the minimum amount people for what ever reason...

That whole side of the city and stadium complex is now a hopping tax boom for the city....(hotels, bars, restaraunts, etc..)...whereas before...it was a deserted, toxic waste dump....yes, a toxic waste dump...

Last edited:
I live in this area...and don't necessarily think this is a bad thing...I'm cautious...but willing to listen.

There is nothing at the site proposed for the stadium...There was nothing at the site where they built the MGM / National harbor complex...This is all tied into trying to revitalize and modernize the Southeast side of the city / metropolis...even The Nationals stadium was tied to this whole situation...all 3 jurisdictions are on board with the push...

The South Mountain area...would be tied in with the Antietam battlefield area just up the road...again, not necessarily a bad thing...Antietam is VERY well maintained and preserved, uncluttered...So, I'm cautiously willing to listen.....If the feds eventually have their way...this whole area is going to be one big blob of park-controlled- land (The Harpers Ferry area included)....It's a pain in the butt now, to try and do anything in this area because of the historical impacts (dealing with historical buildings, lands, etc...that require extra mountains of paperwork...only to be denied...which you knew would happen even before you try...)

Obviously, the devil is in the details....let's see what they are before giving in to the knee jerk reactions....

I can see why the state would be interested in considering this swap....think about it...The State Park needs to be maintained and preserved...no modernization and development allowed...and they (the state) have to pay to maintain it...The proposed stadium site...would bring in big tax dollars for the state's coffers.....

So....let's see....a big tax dollar windfall for the state..vs. a big money drain for the state on the other side of the books...hhmmmmmmmm....which to choose if I'm the Governor?......

I live in the area too—I can see Fox’s Gap on S. Mountain and some of the land they’re talking about from where I’m writing this. When I look out my bedroom window in the morning, I see the flag on the farm next to us that marks the location of the Union field headquarters for the Battle of South Mountain. This area is rich with history and many who live here are active in protecting it, promoting it, and participating in it through living history events, reenactments, and other programs. We’ve already endured a 5-year struggle with Dominion Power to get a gas compressor station relocated away from the battlefield and AT, so when I talk about the future of this area and what I believe is appropriate, it’s from the perspective of local knowledge, an interest in historical preservation, and long-term involvement, not a “knee jerk reaction.”

I agree that Antietam is a nice park, but the NPS already has its hands full in this area maintaining Antietam, Monocacy, and Harpers Ferry, not to mention the federal parklands and forests in the area. The state does an excellent job of maintaining the S. Mountain battlefield areas already.

Also, the assertion that, “there is nothing at the site proposed for the stadium,” is as disappointing as it is inaccurate. There is a large National Park there with historic structures and a long history of providing a green oasis with outdoor recreational opportunities for the general public—not just the select few who can afford season tickets to NFL games. Check out the website for the park: https://www.nps.gov/oxhi/index.htm

A former park ranger who worked there for almost 20 years said, “This is a beautiful, bucolic place...They’re not running thousands of people through the turnstiles like at Disneyland, but it needs to be preserved.”

Last edited:
Wow - who is going to pay for that? Given the unique circumstances of the District of Columbia, this will be Federal tax dollars most likely...

Geez,
USS ALASKA

Who will pay for that? Hhmmm...let's see, the Redskins franchise is now the fourth most valuable NFL franchise and is worth $3.1 BILLION, and their highest paid athlete makes $13.5 million/year. You think maybe they could pay for it? Ha ha. Just kidding. I'm sure they'd go to the Federal government--they've got lots of money.

What’s with all the ellipses? It gives the effect of halting speech, of confusion and indecision.

We’ve already endured a 5-year struggle with Dominion Power to get a gas compressor station relocated away from the battlefield and AT, so when I talk about the future of this area and what I believe is appropriate, it’s from the perspective of local knowledge, an interest in historical preservation, and long-term involvement, not a “knee jerk reaction.”

good for you....is the NPS proposing to bring in a gas compressor?....Why would NPS taking over the oversee of South Mountain be a bad thing? As you mentioned ...they already have much of the area as is...I would think the South Mountain area would allow them to streamline their preservation system and efforts.

Also, the assertion that, “there is nothing at the site proposed for the stadium,” is as disappointing as it is inaccurate. There is a large National Park there with historic structures and a long history of providing a green oasis with outdoor recreational opportunities for the general public—not just the select few who can afford season tickets to NFL games.

While I might agree with you in the preference for the green space as opposed to a new football stadium...They're going to do something there anyway...Why would the NPS be willing to let the site go?...Something has been deemed more important to them...and the state as well...There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we are even seeing right now.

The 'historic structures' are a well preserved farm...with it's most significant claim to fame is that it once was part of the St. Elizabeth's rehab program.

I will chime in as a lifelong Redskins fan. Everything I have read indicates that the old RFK cite in the District is the team's preferred site. It's federal land so there's a lot of hoops to jump through etc.

This land swap idea is entirely the idea of teh Maryland governor on his own in an attempt to keep the Redskins playing in Maryland. They play in Maryland now. Virginia appears to have zero interest in bringing the team there.

I don't give this land swapp much of chance of taking place.

I will chime in as a lifelong Redskins fan. Everything I have read indicates that the old RFK cite in the District is the team's preferred site. It's federal land so there's a lot of hoops to jump through etc.

This land swap idea is entirely the idea of teh Maryland governor on his own in an attempt to keep the Redskins playing in Maryland. They play in Maryland now. Virginia appears to have zero interest in bringing the team there.

I don't give this land swapp much of chance of taking place.

Maryland Gov. Hogan has now withdrawn from the effort!

"Moreover, barring a change of heart, Hogan’s decision strips Redskins owner Daniel Snyder of significant leverage in getting his new stadium built — leverage Snyder was counting on when, and if, he starts negotiating with officials in the District on financial incentives and accommodations for the project."

"Hogan is not abandoning his effort to acquire the Oxon Cove site for other purposes, according to Amelia Chasse, his communications director. He is simply halting talks with the Redskins."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...d02109aeb01_story.html?utm_term=.00b4fa876463

Back