New recruit from Alabama

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

sailorjoe

Private
I signed up with this outfit just yesterday and received a warm welcome from the commander (i.e Webmaster) in my email today. I didn't spend any time lurking as I only found about you folks a short time before I joined. I joined primarily in order to learn more as I've found that I can't possibly read all the books I would like to read concerning the War in spite of all the reading I do. Once I get comfortable with the forum, I will likely share some of what I've learned. Just a brief bit about myself. I am retired and have been for many years. I have been interested in history since my grammar school years and since retiring I've been able to devote more time on my hobbies which include among others, the study of history and my family tree. I also enjoy visiting the battlefields administered by the Nat. Park Svc. and various State governments. Historical, biographical and autobiographical books form the major part of my library. In very recent years I have become much more interested in reading about Colonial America and the Revolutionary War and the period of our country during the mid 1800s leading up to the Civil War/War for Southern Independance and the War itself. Because of my interest in the history of my family and what I've learned in my studies of it, I have been able to join the Sons of the American Revolution and the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I could probably join the Yankee counterpart to the SCV as I have ancestors who fought for the Northern side as well. But there are no chapters in that club where I live. I saw my first reenactment recently which was the Battle of Fort Blakely that occurred near Mobile, AL.

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I signed up with this outfit just yesterday and received a warm welcome from the commander (i.e Webmaster) in my email today. I didn't spend any time lurking as I only found about you folks a short time before I joined. I joined primarily in order to learn more as I've found that I can't possibly read all the books I would like to read concerning the War in spite of all the reading I do. Once I get comfortable with the forum, I will likely share some of what I've learned. Just a brief bit about myself. I am retired and have been for many years. I have been interested in history since my grammar school years and since retiring I've been able to devote more time on my hobbies which include among others, the study of history and my family tree. I also enjoy visiting the battlefields administered by the Nat. Park Svc. and various State governments. Historical, biographical and autobiographical books form the major part of my library. In very recent years I have become much more interested in reading about Colonial America and the Revolutionary War and the period of our country during the mid 1800s leading up to the Civil War/War for Southern Independance and the War itself. Because of my interest in the history of my family and what I've learned in my studies of it, I have been able to join the Sons of the American Revolution and the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I could probably join the Yankee counterpart to the SCV as I have ancestors who fought for the Northern side as well. But there are no chapters in that club where I live. I saw my first reenactment recently which was the Battle of Fort Blakely that occurred near Mobile, AL.
Hello and welcome from the Pickett forum.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Welcome. I had a Union ancestor at Fort Blakely in the 122nd Illinois. Being from east Tennessee, I also had close relatives on both sides, even a few that switched sides. Hope you'll join us at the Civil War Ancestry forum and tell us about yours.

sailorjoe

Private
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Thought I would reply with the new avatar I selected. It ain't a picture of me as I'm neither that young or handsome. I decided to use a picture of Brig. General John Hunt Morgan because I have at least three ancestors that served in his brigade who were members of the 9th Tennessee Cavalry

redbob

Captain
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Thought I would reply with the new avatar I selected. It ain't a picture of me as I'm neither that young or handsome. I decided to use a picture of Brig. General John Hunt Morgan because I have at least three ancestors that served in his brigade who were members of the 9th Tennessee Cavalry
The 9th Tennessee Cavalry was also part of Nathan Forrest's command from time to time.