New records of interest on Family Search

Zella

1st Lieutenant
We talk a lot about Ancestry and Fold3 on here, but I also like to check Family Search (which is free) for records. For some things, I've had better results on there, though I don't dare use their collaborative family tree.

I recently got an update on new records they've added and figured I'd pass them on.

https://www.familysearch.org/blog/e...et_rid=117761521&linkid=CTA4&cid=em-fsup-8006

The two that jumped out at me as being of the most immediate interest are Georgia Confederate Pensions from 1879-1920 and Iowa Records of Persons Subject for Military Duty, 1862-1910; however, there's quite a bit on there that might be just what you're looking for. :smile:

I don't, but I'm glad you mentioned this. Our library has it--I had just assumed it had been lost a couple of years ago when our funding for other databases was pulled--but we still apparently have access to it after all. :dance:

I'll have to give it a try! (I work there, so I have ample opportunities to be there. :smile: )

Do you like using it, Donna?

I somehow got on the list for updates to the collections at Family Search and they add neat stuff all along. Not all of it overlaps my interests but it's good to see all the collections expanding.

I somehow got on the list for updates to the collections at Family Search and they add neat stuff all along. Not all of it overlaps my interests but it's good to see all the collections expanding.
Yes, it's always fun to see what is being updated, even if it doesn't actually relate to any of my genealogy!

@Zella I get a monthly update from "Scotland's People," the Scots site that puts up records for emigrants from Scotland. Not much covers my ancestors (who mostly came to the USA via Ireland) but I love to see what is new. And each month I scan this list with a hopeful eye, just in case....

@Zella I get a monthly update from "Scotland's People," the Scots site that puts up records for emigrants from Scotland. Not much covers my ancestors (who mostly came to the USA via Ireland) but I love to see what is new. And each month I scan this list with a hopeful eye, just in case....
I need to check that site out!

C9F60E7B-D2DD-4D96-9644-19975D78CCFE.jpeg

thought this was interesting. My sister sent this to me recently regarding my Great Great Grandfather James Nelley’s Civil War Service she found on Ancestry. He was part of the 3rd Independent Battery Light Artillery out of New York from 5/21/61-12/22/62.

Back