New Podcast: Uncovering the Civil War

I've listened to a half dozen so far, and am finding it very mixed: excellent episodes mixed with lesser ones. The host seems to be trying to meld the podcasting styles of Prokopowicz and Daniel Gulotta. The Greg Downs espisodes are fantastic, but Downs is always a great speaker. Definitely listen to the Downs shows before the Foner episodes and you'll be sure get a few good laughs. It's kind of amazing that he got high profile scholars to contribute so much time to a podcast that probably has minimal listenership.

I've listened to a half dozen so far, and am finding it very mixed: excellent episodes mixed with lesser ones. The host seems to be trying to meld the podcasting styles of Prokopowicz and Daniel Gulotta. The Greg Downs espisodes are fantastic, but Downs is always a great speaker. Definitely listen to the Downs shows before the Foner episodes and you'll be sure get a few good laughs. It's kind of amazing that he got high profile scholars to contribute so much time to a podcast that probably has minimal listenership.
Who is Daniel Gulotta?

The guest list is impressive. Had not heard of the host before. He took out an ad in the N.Y. Review of Books last month that I saw so I figured I would check it out. I would guess he has a small audience, at least for now. I wonder if he offered the high profile guests an honorarium.

Thought the episodes on Vicksburg was very good.

The episodes with Downs are good too. Just my opinion I thought Foner was better. But nonetheless Downs was very informative. I did catch a variance between Foner and Downs regarding the "Panic of 1865" I think Foner dismissed it, whereas Downs believed it was a Panic. As far as the host, sometimes I think he is good, but sometimes his questions can be scattered.

But hey, I am listening, and have listened to multiple episodes, so its working LOL

Thought the episodes on Vicksburg was very good.

The episodes with Downs are good too. Just my opinion I thought Foner was better. But nonetheless Downs was very informative. I did catch a variance between Foner and Downs regarding the "Panic of 1865" I think Foner dismissed it, whereas Downs believed it was a Panic. As far as the host, sometimes I think he is good, but sometimes his questions can be scattered.

But hey, I am listening, and have listened to multiple episodes, so its working LOL
Very true. I have listened to ten or so and I have finished each one. If the host does a second season hopefully he will correct a few things but if he has the same level of guests I will listen.

I also like the fact that he explores some areas that reflect new scholarship.

Reactions: DRW
This one looks at weaponry during the war. Jim Burgess of Manasas Battlefield is the guest. It is decent. One negative, towards the end he gives an old white guy denunciation of "political correctness", tells us to "give the Confederates credit" and says we can't judge them, although giving them credit seems to be making a judgement to me. He also insists that Confederates were not fighting for slavery. And NPS wonders why Black folks don't always feel welcome at Civil War battlefields.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/uncovering-the-civil-war/e/52751000

In this episode Dr. Jonathan White discusses Lincoln and the Supreme Court. It focuses mostly on Lincoln's conflict with Taney. Since Lincoln helped to reshape the court, I would have liked to see his appointments discussed. Lincoln nominated five justices and the majority of the Court in the early years of Reconstruction were Lincoln appointees. Yet the court was not always inclined to protect freedpeople.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/uncovering-the-civil-war/e/54349753

I wrote to the host. He said that there will be a second season of the podcast. He expects to post one or two new podcasts each month. I like the podcasts, so this is good news.

Back