New Peter Tait Confederate Uniform Book in December

For those interested in imported Confederate uniforms, check out Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait & Co., Limerick, Ireland from http://www.adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/.

Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait & Co., Limerick, Ireland is a 72-page, full color, illustrated reference book covering the most famous imported Confederate uniform of the Civil War. It is, to date, the only reference that includes documentation and photos of every surviving Tait uniform known to exist. A total of 126 color images document these uniforms, along with several additional black and white photos from the war era. The color photos offer different perspectives and close-ups showing construction details, lining, stitching, and size stamps used in Peter Tait jackets and trousers. They also include the faces, back marks, and Tice numbers of every button used on Tait jackets. Furthermore, readers will not need to squint at the pictures. The book is an ample 8 ½” x 11” (21.5 cm x 28 cm) format, allowing for large images and crisp details.

In addition to the detailed photos, the well-documented text specifies the number of uniforms delivered to the Confederacy and the places the soldiers wore them. The provenance of each jacket is included along with the soldier’s service record. The usage of the Tait uniform in the Army of Northern Virginia, the Carolina Campaign, the Mobile Garrison, and the Department of the Trans-Mississippi proves that it was the Confederacy’s one truly universal uniform.

Adolphus’ research is supported by 67 end notes, almost exclusively taken from primary sources and original Confederate documents. Far from an exercise in conjecture, this study fills a void with factual information about the acquisition, delivery, and use of the Tait uniform. The author also proves that Tait was not the only manufacturer of the “Tait” uniform. Alexander Collie and Hebbert & Co., London made their share, as well.

This book thoroughly documents the contribution of Ireland and Great Britain to the Southern armies, and is a “must have” for any serious Confederate uniform buff. The cost is only $14.95 plus 4.95 for shipping.

Well, I know what I'm ORDERING myself for Christmas!

Thanks for your work ,Fred!

Kevin Dally

I have had my copy for over a week, and I must say for a uniform nut like myself, it's a keeper!

I especially liked the 39th GA. Inf. member Hugh Lawson Duncan jacket pics. I was glad to see the details of the inside lining, buttons, and the sewing details. It makes me wonder if my GG Uncle, Alexander Thornton of Co. C may have received the same type of clothing.

I also was pleased to see the details of the "Pillans" jacket, being made from Alabama contract Tait material. Being the only surviving Alabama contract jacket, makes it more than note worthy. The details of the added on button holes and the stitching used around them are so much better than the original 5 button holes stitched into the jacket when originally made.

The pictures of the buttons and their back marks are great, as well as the use of period pictures of those wearing this uniform jacket.

Now, if we can get someone to reproduce the Tait cloth accurately!

Kevin Dally

Back