New PBS Series - Reconstruction

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
I prefer reading about Reconstruction; a wider array of sources, not the feeling of being one of a captive audience of dunces.
Thanks for your response.
I can appreciate that.
On the other hand, one never knows where a spark, a new bit of information will show itself. I prefer reading as well, but for that reason, I try to be open to all sources, all views.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
I can appreciate that.
On the other hand, one never knows where a spark, a new bit of information will show itself. I prefer reading as well, but for that reason, I try to be open to all sources, all views.
Really? Have you read Coulter's books?

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I can appreciate that.
When does it start? I haven't seen anything about on PBS here. The local station just finished with a rerun Of Ken Burns Civil War. Maybe Gates' series will be next.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
When does it start? I haven't seen anything about on PBS here. The local station just finished with a rerun Of Ken Burns Civil War. Maybe Gates' series will be next.
Based on the OP, it aired in April. I recall watching it on the PBS website, so you probably can still access it there.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Coulter is a good follow up to Foner.
Thanks for your response and recommendation.
Checking Amazon just now, I find a number of books by Ann Coulter and Catherine Coulter: something tells me neither is the author mentioned. Can you provide more information?

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Thanks for your response and recommendation.
Checking Amazon just now, I find a number of books by Ann Coulter and Catherine Coulter: something tells me neither is the author mentioned. Can you provide more information?
The recommended reading: E. Merton Coulter, The South During Reconstruction, 1865-1877.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
The late Mr. Coulter's works are certainly priced for a narrow audience. Still, I'll try to pick up his The South During Reconstruction, 1865--1877: A History of the South.
Incidentally, the New Georgia Encyclopedia describes Mr. Coulter as "a leader of that generation of white southern historians who viewed the South's past with pride and defended its racist policies and practices. He framed his literary corpus to praise the Old South, glorify Confederate heroes, vilify northerners, and denigrate southern blacks."
<https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/e-merton-coulter-1890-1981>

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
The late Mr. Coulter's works are certainly priced for a narrow audience. Still, I'll try to pick up his The South During Reconstruction, 1865--1877: A History of the South.
Incidentally, the New Georgia Encyclopedia describes Mr. Coulter as "a leader of that generation of white southern historians who viewed the South's past with pride and defended its racist policies and practices. He framed his literary corpus to praise the Old South, glorify Confederate heroes, vilify northerners, and denigrate southern blacks."
<https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/e-merton-coulter-1890-1981>

E. Merton Coulter
E. Merton Coulter is emeritus professor of history at the University of Georgia. He received the A.B. degree at the University of north Carolina (1913), the M.A. degree (1915) at the Ph.D. degree (1917) at the University of Wisconsin. His teaching career began at Marietta College (Ohio), but in 1919 he moved to the University of Georgia, where he has remained save for several intermissions when he taught in other institutions. Professor Coulter has served as president of the Agricultural History Society and of the Southern Historical Association. He is the author of The Civil War and Readjustment in Kentucky; College Life in the Old South; William G. Brownlow, Fighting Parson of the Southern Highlands; A Short History of Georgia; Thomas Spalding of Sapelo; John Jacobus Flournoy, Champion of the Common Man in the Antebellum South; Georgia's Disputed Ruins (editor); The Other Half of Old New Orleans (editor); and numerous articles in historical journals.

https://lsupress.org/authors/detail/e-merton-coulter/

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
E. Merton Coulter...author of The Civil War...numerous articles in historical journals.

So by all means let's quote him: "In my teachings I am still trying to re-establish the Southern Confederacy." *

So (yawn) you'd think merely Lost Cause dustbin. But despite his having been thoroughly discredited by both Southern and Northern peers in the last Century, and despite his never having addressed any of his work to black Americans, this author should yet be read and studied for his having codified white supremacist philosophy, in context of lynchings.

But otherwise keep an open mind. His conclusions and advocacy might ring true for you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* "The Dunning School: Historians, Race, and the Meaning of Reconstruction" 2013 Smith & Lowery, University Press of Kentucky

Last edited:

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
So by all means let's quote him: "In my teachings I am still trying to re-establish the Southern Confederacy." *

So (yawn) you'd think merely Lost Cause dustbin. But despite his having been thoroughly discredited by both Southern and Northern peers in the last Century, and despite his never having addressed any of his work to black Americans, this author should yet be read and studied for his having codified white supremacist philosophy, in context of lynchings.

But otherwise keep an open mind. His conclusions and advocacy might ring true for you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* "The Dunning School: Historians, Race, and the Meaning of Reconstruction" 2013 Smith & Lowery, University Press of Kentucky

Both E. Merton Coulter and Eric Foner were products of time, place, family and education and those factors reflect their work and careers.

https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/e-merton-coulter-1890-1981

https://historyhalf.com/eric-foner-preaches-marxism-on-campus/#more-1916