New pattern frogs for bayonet scabbards.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The US Army on 23 February, 1863 adopted a new pattern for federal bayonet scabbard frog that eliminated the stitching and thus strengthened the bayonet scabbard frog and extended the life of it. This made me wonder how long issued bayonet scabbards frogs lasted in field service. Would some soldiers still be using the older pattern bayonet scabbard frogs until the end of the Civil War?

In August of 1862 a patent was granted to J.E. Emerson for an all-steel bayonet scabbard and theses started to replace the leather scabbard. Were any of the steel scabbards used with the older style sewn and riveted bayonet scabbard frogs?

The US Army on 23 February, 1863 adopted a new pattern for federal bayonet scabbard frog that eliminated the stitching and thus strengthened the bayonet scabbard frog and extended the life of it. This made me wonder how long issued bayonet scabbards frogs lasted in field service. Would some soldiers still be using the older pattern bayonet scabbard frogs until the end of the Civil War?

In August of 1862 a patent was granted to J.E. Emerson for an all-steel bayonet scabbard and theses started to replace the leather scabbard. Were any of the steel scabbards used with the older style sewn and riveted bayonet scabbard frogs?

From the 1862 US Ordnance Manual...
1631399371312.png

1631399392717.png

From Feb. 10, 1863, the US Army ordnance department's instructions for quarterly returns delineates the following infantry accoutrements, including the early war leather bayonet scabbards, and the new 1862 steel scabbards. This was a couple weeks before the improved leather scabbards, with rivets, were adopted...
1631399286138.png

Without knowing otherwise, I would suspect the new pattern, fully riveted scabbards were issued as necessary, to new units or as replacements, without being designated a separate category form the old pattern with stitching and rivets. For example, from 1872, this Ordnance memoranda of infantry accoutrements just delineates between the "leather" and "steel" scabbards...

1631401384184.png

Back