New Orleans trip

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
My daughter asked me to go to New Orleans this fall with her. If I decide to go I will have a couple of days to find something to do as she officiates a sporting event. I have never been to New Orleans so I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I go? It might come down to skipping the Civil War Talk get together in Chattanooga?
2) Is there anything to see in New Orleans that deals with the Civil War or military history?
3) If I go should I try to stay on my diet?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
By all means go to New Orleans. There is no other city like it in the USA.

Forget your diet.

There's too much fine cuisine to sample.
Get back on your program once you return home.

2) Is there anything to see in New Orleans that deals with the Civil War or military history?
Very much to see:

The National World War II museum

Confederate Memorial Hall

Chalmette Battlefield, War of 1812

Last edited:

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Take your daughter to Commander’s Palace for brunch!
Agreed !

But if @major bill and his daughter are pressed for time, they must at least grab some beignets at the original
Cafe Du Monde.

( It's been around since the War . . . established in 1862).

I'm willing to bet that even Spoons ate at this landmark. :bounce:

Last edited:
Is there anything to see in New Orleans that deals with the Civil War or military history?
You could visit the graves of P.G.T. Beauregard, John B. Hood, and Richard Taylor at Metairie Cemetery - it also has statues of Stonewall Jackson and A.S. Johnston, plus a bunch of CSA monuments.

You could also visit the grave of Leonidas Polk at Christ Church Cathedral.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
I took one of those riverboat tourist cruises years ago. It was pretty cool. The one I took was a dinner cruise, but if I was going to go again I would go during the day, so I could see more. I think 2-4 hours is about the right amount of time. Anything longer gets very repetitive.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
My daughter asked me to go to New Orleans this fall with her. If I decide to go I will have a couple of days to find something to do as she officiates a sporting event. I have never been to New Orleans so I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I go? It might come down to skipping the Civil War Talk get together in Chattanooga?
Not sure exactly where you'd be staying in New Orleans,but a little over an hour north of New Orleans is Camp Moore Confederate Cemetery and Museum. The museum is open 10am-3pm,Wednesday-Saturday. If you make it there,you will be glad you did.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/louisiana/cam.htm

http://www.campmoorela.com/

Edit to add: The Cemetery and Museum grounds are open daylight to dusk. I got there at 9am on my visit and did the Walking Tour of the grounds,which includes the Cemetery,and then visited the Museum when it opened. I think I was there about 3 hours total. The Museum looks small on the outside,but there's a lotta stuff in there.

A great place to visit, the food was great and I really enjoyed Chalmette Battlefield, the site of Jackson's victory over the British. I also saw the National WWII Museum. A great place. I believe General Hood is buried somewhere around there.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)