Monuments New Mississippi Monument at Shiloh

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
6th Mississippi Battle Flag;

http://mdah.state.ms.us/senseofplace/tag/museum-of-mississippi-history/

The Battle of Shiloh in southern Tennessee began on April 6, 1862, and became the bloodiest battle of the Civil War up to that point with almost 24,000 casualties. This flag, which has been stored in the candy jar since before it was sent to the Department of Archives and History in the early 1900s, was reputedly carried by the 6th Mississippi Regiment during the battle. A label inside the jar with the flag states that seven color-bearers were killed or wounded while carrying this flag during the battle. The 6th Mississippi sustained horrific casualties during the first day’s fighting at Shiloh. According to General Cleburne’s report in the Official Records, the 6th suffered 300 casualties of the 425 men it carried into the battle, earning the unit the nickname of the “Bloody Sixth.”

1960.202.1-356x600.jpg

Civil War battle flag. Accession Number: 1960.202.1 (Museum Division Collection

I think it's a nice tribute to the Mississippi boys. In the process of capturing their intensity of the moment, it captures the intensity of all the other boys who fought in the war. Ergo, in my mind, it's a reminder of ALL the boys from both sides who fought. I think it's excellent.

im000868-jpg.jpg

A fitting companion to the Tennessee Monument - it's about time the Confederate States are being represented at Shiloh!
My only certain ancestor at Shiloh was living in Shelby County, Tenn., but from Holly Springs, Miss. He joined the Maynard Rifles, Co. L, of the 154th Tenn., (Senior) and was wounded in the neck on April 6.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Thanks for the pics guys. Looks like a good time was had by all.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)