New member Western N.C. Asheville

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

TnFed

Sergeant
Were your Morrows from South Carolina ? Private James Hagan Morrow, Company B 19th Tennessee Infantry was married to a 4x removed 1st cousin of mine, whose family came to Washington County, East Tennessee shortly before the war from Wilkes County, NC. His brother John, was Captain of Company B, another brother, Benjamin also served in the 60th Tennessee. James was discharged for health reasons in November, 1862. This Morrow family were the leading wheat growers in their district of Washington County in 1860 with 800 bushels. James was the oldest son of Drury and Hetty Esther McCullough Morrow and was born in Indian Land, Lancaster Co., South Carolina. They came to east Tennessee 1851-1855. Any connection to your Morrow's in the Union 3rd TN Mounted ?

View attachment 195369

TnFed

Sergeant
Were your Morrows from South Carolina ? Private James Hagan Morrow, Company B 19th Tennessee Infantry was married to a 4x removed 1st cousin of mine, whose family came to Washington County, East Tennessee shortly before the war from Wilkes County, NC. His brother John, was Captain of Company B, another brother, Benjamin also served in the 60th Tennessee. James was discharged for health reasons in November, 1862. This Morrow family were the leading wheat growers in their district of Washington County in 1860 with 800 bushels. James was the oldest son of Drury and Hetty Esther McCullough Morrow and was born in Indian Land, Lancaster Co., South Carolina. They came to east Tennessee 1851-1855. Any connection to your Morrow's in the Union 3rd TN Mounted ?

View attachment 195369
GLENN, most of my Morrow relatives came to NC from I believe Virginia .

TnFed

Sergeant
James.......your 2 x great-grandfather in the 3rd TN Mounted.........named Aaron or Adam? Do you have his pension index card ?
Aaron Lafayette Morrow..b. 5 21 1844...d. 9 10 1866
Killed gunfight. at the Murphy Courthouse NC.
Private 3rd Tn Mounted Infantry. Company G. Also previously Private 1st Tn. National Guard....Bryson Scouts and Guides...

TnFed

Sergeant
James.......your 2 x great-grandfather in the 3rd TN Mounted.........named Aaron or Adam ? Do you have his pension index card ?
GLENN the ancestors were a little rough and ready. G G grandpa and his brothers James and George died of some bad cases of lead poisoning. The youngest William became a Methodist Preacher...smart man....they however were legtimate combatants so they wont be represented on the silver screen I imagne

GLENN the ancestors were a little rough and ready. G G grandpa and his brothers James and George died of some bad cases of lead poisoning. The youngest William became a Methodist Preacher...smart man....they however were legtimate combatants so they wont be represented on the silver screen I imagne
The youngest William became a Methodist Preacher...smart man..
w.m.morrow.jpg

His pension file index card. First one I've seen mentioning Bryson's Company.

TnFed

Sergeant
View attachment 195700

His pension file index card. First one I've seen mentioning Bryson's Company.
Glenn, I, dont know if you remember this or not...but there was a big pension scandal after the war..one of Bryson's ln-laws and some important folks in Sweet Water Tn. Turn out a false roll of Bryson's men and tried to get them and others a pension from the federal government. Robert Barker researched this quite a bit. I'm typing this without looking anything up but I believe it was called the Boyd -Payne fraud. Bryson was married to a Payne lady......Regards, James.

Glenn, I, dont know if you remember this or not...but there was a big pension scandal after the war..one of Bryson's ln-laws and some important folks in Sweet Water Tn. Turn out a false roll of Bryson's men and tried to get them and others a pension from the federal government. Robert Barker researched this quite a bit. I'm typing this without looking anything up but I believe it was called the Boyd -Payne fraud. Bryson was married to a Payne lady......Regards, James.
Seems I remember reading about that !

TnFed

Sergeant
Seems I remember reading about that !
I was just reading about it. The government indicted Thomas Boyd who faked his death and escaped to Canada. He was later captured. After serving some time he was elected Mayor of Sweet Water. Some time later a nephew shot him. When one of his friends was asked if he would be going to the funeral, he said" No thanks I went to the first one."

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)