New Member from Maryland

Hello,

I'm a new member from Maryland. My wife and four kids live in the shadow of Harpers Ferry, right on the Potomac. We homeschool our oldest 3 boys, and my wife has been a confirmed Civil War aficionado for years. We take almost monthly field trips to Gettysburg, Antietam, and all the local sites. We feel blessed to live right in the middle of it all.

While I'm here, I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can help out with. Just the other day, we received an original Enfield rifle as a gift. We're trying to determine exactly what it is. It has a 39" barrel, and it's .75 caliber. The lock is marked with an English crown and the letters "VR" beneath it. To the right is the word "Enfield." On the brass butt plate and the trigger guard is the marking "86.S.F"

Just wondering if anyone might have an answer or know someone who could help to identify this fine piece.

Thanks,

Steve

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Maryland Boy said:
Hello,

I'm a new member from Maryland. My wife and four kids live in the shadow of Harpers Ferry, right on the Potomac. We homeschool our oldest 3 boys, and my wife has been a confirmed Civil War aficionado for years. We take almost monthly field trips to Gettysburg, Antietam, and all the local sites. We feel blessed to live right in the middle of it all.

While I'm here, I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can help out with. Just the other day, we received an original Enfield rifle as a gift. We're trying to determine exactly what it is. It has a 39" barrel, and it's .75 caliber. The lock is marked with an English crown and the letters "VR" beneath it. To the right is the word "Enfield." On the brass butt plate and the trigger guard is the marking "86.S.F"

Just wondering if anyone might have an answer or know someone who could help to identify this fine piece.

Thanks,

Steve
Appears to be one of the 1838/1839/1842 patterns-
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/english_arms.htm

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Maryland Boy said:
Hello,

Thanks,

Steve
P39/42 muskets were generally not rifled and the US Govt referred to them as "Smooth-bore muskets, English, Tower, caliber .72-.75" they were referred to as 4th class arms by the US Ordnance Dept. Those that made it into the US served only through the early war and were quickly replaced w/ better arms. While some in CS service might have weathered on a bit longer it would have been in the rear... well to the rear.

Most of the P39's had their lockplate w/ the crown in the middle and either Tower or Enfield behind the hammer right over the top of the trigger.

THe CS bought about 21k of them and the US considerably less.

THe final production of the P42 were rifled (a little more than 26,000 of those were produced) w/ a ladder style rear sight was soldered to the barrel. THey were done up in .76 cal. It had three brass ramrod pipes along the underside of the stock the stock runs the length of the barrel to just over 3" from the muzzle. THe barrell for the P39 was pin fastened instead of using barrell bands & the P42 used flat keys & the swivel screw.

If it a rifled arm w/out barrel bands it is almost certainly a late model P42. Smoothbore it is likely a P39 or early model P42.

It is almost certainly not an P51 Rifle Musket as VERY few exist today and there weren't a whole lot built in the first place.

If it is not spring fastened but has barrell bands it is likely a P53 that was originally issued in .577 though many were bored out to make servicable shotguns after the war. Look for the proof marks on the barrell which should be on the left side near the breech. if you see a 24 it was built in .58 & a 25 refers to .577. THose numbers are indicators that it is likely a P53.

Hope that is useful info.

Welcome aboard

Welcome to our world.........Ms. Rad and I home school our youngest. On the lighter side you will find an array of researchers. reenactors and good Ol' boys and gals to"'talk shop" with. We also have a Trivia contest to sharpen up your knowledge of the war between the states.:cannon:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!