New Member - Civil War Envelope?

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo and the Uniforms & Relics forum.

Hello. I am new to this site and very happy to have found it. I have looked through several threads and haven't found an answer to my question. I have attached an envelope (which I LOVE) from the civil war. It is from the Assistant Adjutant General's Office (Samuel Breck) to Brevet Luit. Col. James R. Gilmore. (pen name Edmond Kirke).

My question is about the lower left corner. Any idea what the numbers and letters mean?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
"a. q. m."

Assistant Quartermaster?

Hello. I am new to this site and very happy to have found it. I have looked through several threads and haven't found an answer to my question. I have attached an envelope (which I LOVE) from the civil war. It is from the Assistant Adjutant General's Office (Samuel Breck) to Brevet Luit. Col. James R. Gilmore. (pen name Edmond Kirke).

My question is about the lower left corner. Any idea what the numbers and letters mean?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Good morning, @byjanelle . Welcome to the forums.

"55."

The envelope has "commission" written on it. I would guess that 55 was #55 of a long list of commissions issued that day.

"a. q. m."

Assistant Quartermaster?

That does make sense since he was the Assistant Quartermaster. I also know that back then they used dots and lines to represent more. For example, I have a letter that says "town_" Which indicates "township". So I wonder about the dots and line in this one. Doesn't always indicate more but keeps you guessing.

Welcome from Nashville! How did you come to have the envelope?

I was bidding on a lot of old stampless letters at a live auction, which I won. It was in it. I didn't even know it was in it until a couple months later when I went through the entire box. I also hadn't noticed some other ephemera items that are cool too, just not like this envelope. There is just so much history attached with this one. I was also so focused on the letters that I ignored the album of photo negatives from the early 1900s in which there are several from West Point. It just turned out to be an amazing win.

Back