New Member - Civil War Envelope?

byjanelle

Cadet
Hello. I am new to this site and very happy to have found it. I have looked through several threads and haven't found an answer to my question. I have attached an envelope (which I LOVE) from the civil war. It is from the Assistant Adjutant General's Office (Samuel Breck) to Brevet Luit. Col. James R. Gilmore. (pen name Edmond Kirke).

My question is about the lower left corner. Any idea what the numbers and letters mean?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Attachments

• gilmore.jpg
    gilmore.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 178
Welcome.png
As to your question, I'm afraid I don't know. Very possibly it was some clerk's shorthand notation that maybe nobody now will ever know. The envelope apparently contained brevet Lt. Col. Gilmore's Commission.

As I'm sure you know, this was James Roberts Gilmore who wrote Personal Recollections of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War (1898). He wrote novels as Edmond Kirke.

As to your question, I'm afraid I don't know. Very possibly it was some clerk's shorthand notation that maybe nobody now will ever know. The envelope apparently contained brevet Lt. Col. Gilmore's Commission.

As I'm sure you know, this was James Roberts Gilmore who wrote Personal Recollections of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War (1898). He wrote novels as Edmond Kirke.

Thank you. Yes, I have read this book as well as other writings by Mr. Gilmore. He really was a fascinating man. Much more instrumental in the Civil War than many realize.

I know it was a long shot on the memo in the corner but I will hold out hope that someone will know. :smile:

Back