New Markers detail Grant’s march to Vicksburg

7th Mississippi Infantry

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I found this article from last September,

Cashing in on Grant’s march to Vicksburg

One has to believe that Ulysses S. Grant has just fired up another victory cigar, and all Mississippians ought to join him in the celebration.

This week it was announced that a series of historical markers have been erected showing Grant’s path in his famous march to Vicksburg in 1863 during the American Civil War.

Brig. Gen. Parker Hills (ret.), president of the Mississippi Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, told the Vicksburg Post that the 18 markers dot a 50-mile stretch of road from the old Grand Gulf town square to Raymond.

The project began in 2003, and the scenic byway was authorized by the Legislature in 2004. But the first historical marker didn’t go up until May at Dillon’s Plantation during the 150th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Raymond.

For the rest of the article visit,

http://msbusiness.com/businessblog/2013/09/19/cashing-grants-march-vicksburg/

The markers north of Vicksburg could use some updating too.
as well as the markers along Grant's first line of march from Bruinsburg to Port Gibson....you can barely read some of them and the 150th was last year.......
port_gibson.JPG
port_gibson01.JPG
windsor02.JPG

as well as the markers along Grant's first line of march from Bruinsburg to Port Gibson....you can barely read some of them and the 150th was last year.......
View attachment 42940 View attachment 42941 View attachment 42942
That's shameful.

It's been been a few years since I've been along that route. I had no idea the markers were in that condition.

I do know that what's left of Rodney is in danger of being lost forever. When the remains of the town flooded during 2011, there has been very little repairs made. The iconic Presbyterian Church is almost over grown with vegetation.

That's shameful.

It's been been a few years since I've been along that route. I had no idea the markers were in that condition.

I do know that what's left of Rodney is in danger of being lost forever. When the remains of the town flooded during 2011, there has been very little repairs made. The iconic Presbyterian Church is almost over grown with vegetation.

I tried to go to Rodney but couldn't because the road was closed...hwy 552 i guess it is...

did go into Alcorn University which i had never seen before..........

the iron staircase is from the old Windsor plantation.
alcorn01.JPG

alcorn03.JPG

alcorn04.JPG

I tried to go to Rodney but couldn't because the road was closed...hwy 552 i guess it is...

did go into Alcorn University which i had never seen before..........

the iron staircase is from the old Windsor plantation.
View attachment 42967

View attachment 42968
View attachment 42969
It's an adventure trying to find the ghost town of Rodney.

The first few times I tried using maps, I got lost. ( don't even think about using GPS )
From what I remember there are two roads that lead into the town, these roads are not marked well. . . . if at all.

Fortunately there is an third unmarked gravel road that starts behind the Old Country Store in Lorman on Hwy 61 &
eventually ends at Rodney. I learned that bit of info from some buddies that deer hunt in the area.

It's well worth the trouble finding the place. There are actually a handful of people that still live there.
I really hope some groups step forward to save what remains of the town.

The following photos and comments are were taken in 2010, prior to the Mississippi River flood of 2011, courtesy of Marty Kitrell Photography.
http://martykittrellphotos.blogspot.com/2010/03/rodney-presbyterian-church.html

I believe this is the town hall of Rodney, but I am not too sure. It is between the Baptist Church and the old store that is still standing in the town.
20100227-17547.jpg

Here are some more photos from the cemetery at Rodney, Mississippi. It sits on top of a high bluff and the view must have been glorious back in the town's heyday. It's rather peaceful and sort of an adventure now to wander through the cemetery because every tombstone seems to be returning to the earth as nature keeps claiming more and more of the resting places for these ancestors of ours.
20100227-17690.jpg

20100227-17681.jpg

Masonic lodge
20100227-17649.jpg

Rodney Baptist Church
20100227-17640.jpg

The famous Presbyterian Church
20100227-17668.jpg

Cannon ball fired into the church by the USS Rattler.
20100227-17677.jpg

Back