NF New John Brown Miniseries Trailer

Non-Fiction
Yes they said that Grant because it got high ratings he may be able to produce the show now because of that.
It's a dead project. Happens all the time. Nobody wants to produce it based on the backlash HBO got for Confederate, Free State of Jones b.o. It's even more of a risk considering the current political environment.

Watched the first few minutes and found it a bit of a strange show. I’ll give it a chance to improve.
I quit after first few minutes that struck me laughable as opening credits first screen says "All of this true" then the 2nd lowers it "most of it happened" (which means then it isn't all true) .....then during the rather bizarre cartoon opening it lowers it even further by saying "based on the novel" which the novel never made any pretensions of being anything other then fiction.

Why try to pretend fiction is factual......when it's simply imagined......

I saw a Showtime interview with Hawke, and I was not impressed with what he said. It already looks like a turd, and it premiers tonight here. Hawke said Brown wasn't crazy, I disagree he was bat **** crazy. Sorry for the language, there are truly no good words to describe his mental state. Hacking people to death with a sword are the actions of a serial killer beyond fanaticism. Hawke is still too young for Brown.

I wanted my money back, and I did not have to pay for it. Blazing Saddles was at least funny, this one seemed like a grade Z Film. This ones was being played for a laughs, and it reminded me of joke and the Monty Python and the Holy Grail, without the bad special effects. I still want my money back.

Didn’t enjoy the show at all. I think it’s a massive missed opportunity to tell John Browns story. They had the actors they had the budget & they produced this mess. I’m not sure who they are appealing to with this production. The only one who know or care about John Brown are history buffs , this won’t appeal to them.

Didn’t enjoy the show at all. I think it’s a massive missed opportunity to tell John Browns story. They had the actors they had the budget & they produced this mess. I’m not sure who they are appealing to with this production. The only one who know or care about John Brown are history buffs , this won’t appeal to them.

I think some of you are totally missing the mark on what this show is supposed to be and I'm personally stunned it's in the non-fiction section.

It's a myth based on the events during that time. Much like the Illiad was written about the Siege of Troy. Don't view this show expecting any sense of historical accuracy.

I think you also got fooled by "All of this is true, Most of this is true". This was a nod to Mark Twain and isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

That's the rather shameful part as history or non fiction is meant to be taken seriously. As I am quite familiar with Twain, I live in Twain land.. If you aim something at a young audience, without explaining it's satire......and instead actually present it as truth......they will probably take it that way. The subtlety will be lost on the audience it's intended for.

Fail to see the "humor" in misleading kids who I assume it's aimed at, with the cartoon beginning and it's over the top drama, who won't realize it.

Last edited:
I know the difference between history and fiction. I also see a pile of **** when I see it. People tend to see a historical film and pronounce it as true history. I read the book, it was what it was, lies told in the service, the definition of a novel. This was taken from a novel, just like Gettysburg and Gods and Generals. Outright lies were pushed in both films. A lot of lies were pushed in this story also. I don't think many reenactors were drawn to be extras in the project. One example is the Army patrol led by Lt. Jeb Stuart, it was a mite thin, almost a joke. It struck me as a poorly conceived project. I wasn't watching John Brown, I was watching Yosemite Sam brought to life. A lot of actors have played Brown: Raymond Massey (twice), James Mason, Johnny Cash and Sterling Hayden. personally I liked Cash and Hayden in the role, they were believable. The article that sealed the whole joke for me was entitled "The Good Lord Bird Tells the Unexpectedly Funny Story of Abolitionist John Brown." It wasn't funny at all. It will mislead people into thinking they are watching a story about history. It was more like how I wasted my summer vacation, and the 60 minutes I can never get back in my life.

Last edited:
Yep. Not my cup of tea....here’s a few shots I took in August of the courthouse in Charles Town, scene of the trial. At least, these are not historical fiction :+))
14A82B78-57EE-46F9-890D-6E402248A450.jpeg
F91C2368-7CDF-452A-8DCC-7F736C896444.jpeg

That's the rather shameful part as history or non fiction is meant to be taken seriously. As I am quite familiar with Twain, I live in Twain land.. If you aim something at a young audience, without explaining it's satire......and instead actually present it as truth......they will probably take it that way. The subtlety will be lost on the audience it's intended for.

Fail to see the "humor" in misleading kids who I assume it's aimed at, with the cartoon beginning and it's over the top drama, who won't realize it.
It's a really adult novel turned miniseries with vicious profanity and gore. I mean "Good, Bad and the Ugly" had a cartoon beginning and it wasn't aimed at kids. It's rated M for mature.

Did anybody else finish watching this series? The finale aired last night. Overall, I thought it was pretty good.

Back