New Jersey moves to recognize Civil War Vets and the Sons of Union Veterans

Crazy Delawares

Sergeant
On 9 January 2020 Gov. Phil Murphy signed into law SJR59 stating that New Jersey has designated the month of May as "Civil War Veterans Month," in honor of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The Col. Louis R. Francine, Camp #7, SUVCWNJ has been working for six years trying to drum up representative support for this legislation. It was passed through both houses, the Assembly and the Senate, this past year, 2019, by unanimous votes.
Personal side note: I believe NJ is the first state to recognize our Union CW veterans with such a proclamation. But I can be corrected and don't mind so. Francine Camp chose the month of May because that is the month the GAR chose to celebrate Decoration Day.

On 9 January 2020 Gov. Phil Murphy signed into law SJR59 stating that New Jersey has designated the month of May as "Civil War Veterans Month," in honor of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The Col. Louis R. Francine, Camp #7, SUVCWNJ has been working for six years trying to drum up representative support for this legislation. It was passed through both houses, the Assembly and the Senate, this past year, 2019, by unanimous votes.
Personal side note: I believe NJ is the first state to recognize our Union CW veterans with such a proclamation. But I can be corrected and don't mind so. Francine Camp chose the month of May because that is the month the GAR chose to celebrate Decoration Day.
I like that. Don't see anything but positives coming from that. Maybe that can be used to spark some interest in Civil War history among the youth of New jersey. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to attend some events there.

Back