Restricted Debate New Jersey governor has had the Mississippi state flag removed from Liberty Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
***Posted as Moderator***
Let's not turn this thread into a debate about slavery: we have many threads for that discussion. Similarly, the discussion here is not about monuments.
Please restrict posts to discussing the actions of New Jersey's Governor in removing Mississippi's flag from display in a state park.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I am in New Jersey for the next couple of days but do not plan to see the Statue of Liberty. So I will not see the missing flag, well not see the flag pole without the Mississippi flag.

7thWisconsin

First Sergeant
A grandstanding, half- completed action. If he has the legal authority to remove an item from public view by fiat, then he could have exchanged one as well. Why not fly the civic flag of Jackson, Mississippi in place of the state flag, perhaps with an explanation?

us-ms-jx.gif

So many folks from every corner of the country are trying to force Mississippi change they're State Flag, one they've had since 1894, and I don't see how anyone not of Mississippi has that right. It's their flag, if they want to keep it that's their prerogative, not everyone else's.
Did Mississippi have a flag prior to 1894? What did it look like? Why the change? Why did it wait until 1894 to make the change?

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
A grandstanding, half- completed action. If he has the legal authority to remove an item from public view by fiat, then he could have exchanged one as well. Why not fly the civic flag of Jackson, Mississippi in place of the state flag, perhaps with an explanation?

View attachment 313615
There would be some media source insisting it still had Confederate symbolism.

According to this media source, albeit a questionable one, there are seven Southern States flags with Confederate symbolism. Apparently, the New Jersey governor doesn't read the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/21/how-the-confederacy-lives-on-in-the-flags-of-seven-southern-states/?utm_term=.8ad2ab80c033

Dusty

Corporal
I got into it over the flag issue in a different thread, with a member here, a long time ago. I choose to not do the same again. I will say this and only this; it is history, men died for this, no matter what the reason. I believe, without looking, that the so called offending part of the flag is in the upper left corner? It is all, since this started a few years ago, sad.

Polloco

First Sergeant
I've seen fist fights over a lot less "dissing" (disrespecting) than this. It is a lesser degree of dissing than of what caused the fisticuffs but it's still dissing!

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Did Mississippi have a flag prior to 1894? What did it look like? Why the change? Why did it wait until 1894 to make the change?
Yes and no.

From what I've always understood, Mississippi didn't have an official flag before 1894, but there was one that according to what sources you read was unofficial, or had official status when Mississippi was a Confederate State (thus rendering the decision null and void after the US Government came a knocking if it ever happened), or was just a Mississippi secessionist flag.

1561742899431.png

Personally I'm not sure the "Magnolia Flag" was ever an official flag at all, but its without a doubt the most prolific flag representing Mississippi before 1894 from all I've read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!