Restricted Debate New Jersey governor has had the Mississippi state flag removed from Liberty Park.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The question posed to me by the moderator was a ponderance on my part if I approved of the governor's action to exclude the state flag in question. No I do not. But he has the power to do it.

Remember the Georgia state flag got changed years ago to eliminate the Confederate battle flag that was up in the left corner. That was changed by the entire state's elected officials' votes as a result of the proposition to do so put before the legislature.
Then changed to a Confederate government flag with the state seal added in the circle of stars. Probably done to fool those programmed to target the Battle Flag or too ignorant to recognized a flag representing the Confederate government.
1558281077679.png

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Then changed to a Confederate government flag with the state seal added in the circle of stars. Probably done to fool those programmed to target the Battle Flag or too ignorant to recognized a flag representing the Confederate government.
View attachment 308093
Could you tell us what the above flag's symbols represent, according to the State of Georgia?

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
This whole nonsense of removing Confederate flags and statues reminds me of a couple of quotes from George Orwell:

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

"It's frightful that people who are so ignorant have so much influence."

It appears, to me that you have misunderstood Orwell's intended meaning. But, I am not surprised.

Andersonh1

Major
View attachment 308093
People don't know it's the CS flag! Don't give away the secret, CSA Today! :frantic::frantic: :D

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
People don't know it's the CS flag! Don't give away the secret, CSA Today! :frantic::frantic: :D
About 15 years ago I was at a Confederate Flag Day celebration at the statehouse grounds in Raleigh the SCV was allowed to raise the First National Flag over the capitol building during the ceremony. This scruffy looking fellow with an accent (probably from nearby UNC-Chapel Hill) walked up and asked what kind of flag was it. One of the members standing there told him it was a Norwegian flag. The other fellow looked puzzled but didn't say anything and walked away. :sneaky:

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
So.... an ideal (the CSA), which according to many here, never existed (4yrs). Is somehow more culpable, than a Nation that absolutely existed, & was complacent in slavery for 80+yrs, & a couple hundred years prior as colonies...???
?? Nobody at all has excused the U.S.A. for supporting slavery for as long as it did.

Yet (sigh) The Confederacy was the only nation to actually found itself on the precept of Slavery, the only nation left in North America that would officially continue and expand slavery. So of course the Confederacy was more culpable and more to blame.

But nobody today is to blame. Nobody is a Confederate because the Confederacy doesn't exist. Nobody in polite society claims slavery was right, and more to the point, nobody's been commissioned to "defend" the Confederacy. So that little plastic badge belongs in a drawer with the other toys most of us have outgrown.

Potomac Pride

First Sergeant
Could you tell us what the above flag's symbols represent, according to the State of Georgia?
The thirteen stars that are in a circular formation represent the original 13 colonies which Georgia was a part of. The state coat of arms inside the circle of stars contains three columns which represent the 3 branches of government. The design of the flag is based on the First National flag of the Confederacy otherwise know as the '"Stars and Bars".

chitoryu12

Cadet
This whole nonsense of removing Confederate flags and statues reminds me of a couple of quotes from George Orwell:

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

"It's frightful that people who are so ignorant have so much influence."
You don't erase the past by acknowledging that we shouldn't worship the bad things that were done.

Confederate flags and monuments are monuments to a failed rebellion in the name of enslaving black people. It deserves no honor and is a stain on the history of the country.

Whose flag flew over slave ships, the one at Sand Creek and Wounded Knee?
We'll talk about that when we start putting up monuments to the brave crews of the slave ships who weathered the storms and attempted rebellions of their kidnapping victims.

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
You don't erase the past by acknowledging that we shouldn't worship the bad things that were done.

Confederate flags and monuments are monuments to a failed rebellion in the name of enslaving black people. It deserves no honor and is a stain on the history of the country.

We'll talk about that when we start putting up monuments to the brave crews of the slave ships who weathered the storms and attempted rebellions of their kidnapping victims.
Just curious, should we tear down statues to General Grant? He made use of slaves prior to the war.

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Not to mention his General Orders No. 11 which ordered the expulsion of all the Jews in his military district of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Are we so woke now that these flags and monuments offend us. I had five ancestors who fought for the Union, two of them suffering wounds. I don't recall any family history of them complaining about monuments erected to their Confederate foes.

chitoryu12

Cadet
Not to mention his General Orders No. 11 which ordered the expulsion of all the Jews in his military district of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Are we so woke now that these flags and monuments offend us. I had five ancestors who fought for the Union, two of them suffering wounds. I don't recall any family history of them complaining about monuments erected to their Confederate foes.
Sure.

If this was meant to be a "gotcha" where I have to pick one side or the other, I don't have a problem with not lionizing racists just because they were on the winning side. We're supposed to be improving, not tut-tutting about levels of badness.

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Sure.

If this was meant to be a "gotcha" where I have to pick one side or the other, I don't have a problem with not lionizing racists just because they were on the winning side. We're supposed to be improving, not tut-tutting about levels of badness.
Just looking for some consistency, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!