Restricted New Jersey governor has had the Mississippi state flag removed from Liberty Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
I thought the rectangular version was the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag, while the rectangular one was the Army of Tennessee..Its use corrupted in the 50's and 60's by the Dixiecrats...

The confederacy itself was an enterprise of white supremacy, their leaders said so clearly. It follows that the flags of their armies were literally symbols of white supremacy.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
The confederacy itself was an enterprise of white supremacy, their leaders said so clearly. It follows that the flags of their armies were literally symbols of white supremacy.
Another line of dooky.

The ENTIRE COUNTRY in 1860 was about white supremacy. Even the folks that didn't believe in slavery, still believed in white supremacy, ie: Saint Lincoln himself.

Many white supremacist groups today, carry the US flag. Is the US flag a symbol of white supremacy..?

huskerblitz

Major
It's a piece of nylon, one that today represents the people of a particular state. My little dog could be a symbol of white supremacy if I choose it to be. Doesn't mean everyone else who meets her will agree.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
This is such a line of dooky.... For every picture you can find of a Hater with a CBF, I could find one of a Hater with an American Flag.
Thanks for your response.
Say what you will, but most Americans see little value in honoring a symbol of rebellion, racism and the KKK. Don't expect huge petition drives or mass protests urging New Jersey's governor to bring back the Mississippi flag.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Do we have enough answers to make a call? So far, it appears the Governor of New Jersey has a right to take down the Mississippi flag. The Governor will probably not suffer politically for doing so. Some people here say the Governor was not necessarily doing the right thing.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Another line of dooky.

The ENTIRE COUNTRY in 1860 was about white supremacy. Even the folks that didn't believe in slavery, still believed in white supremacy, ie: Saint Lincoln himself.

Many white supremacist groups today, carry the US flag. Is the US flag a symbol of white supremacy..?

I didn’t claim the entire country wasn’t white supremacist. Some would argue that in many ways it still is... I was referring to the confederacy itself, whose leaders loudly and proudly proclaimed white supremacy as one of their main motives. No need to play the “them too them too” game, we are discussing the confederacy and their symbols as it relates to the Mississippi flag and the New Jersey Governor’s decision to remove said flag.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
It's a piece of nylon, one that today represents the people of a particular state. My little dog could be a symbol of white supremacy if I choose it to be. Doesn't mean everyone else who meets her will agree.

It’s a symbol whose origins, unlike your dog, are inextricably linked to white supremacy.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Say what you will, but most Americans see little value in honoring a symbol of rebellion, racism and the KKK. Don't expect huge petition drives or mass protests urging New Jersey's governor to bring back the Mississippi flag.
All of which can be attributed to Old Glory just as easily, & in some cases for many more years.

Don't misread me, I love this country, & our flag. I am one who wrote a blank check to the government to defend it. However, I get pretty irritated with the nonsense of attempting to attach the CBF to the klan, or any other hate group. My previous comment stands, & is fact. For every picture of a hater with the CBF, I can show one of a hater with Old Glory. That little fact seems to escape those attempting to connect hate & the CBF.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
I didn’t claim the entire country wasn’t white supremacist. Some would argue that in many ways it still is... I was referring to the confederacy itself, whose leaders loudly and proudly proclaimed white supremacy as one of their main motives. No need to play the “them too them too” game, we are discussing the confederacy and their symbols as it relates to the Mississippi flag and the New Jersey Governor’s decision to remove said flag.
I'm not the one playing games. It's disingenuous to denounce one group yet, not another when both are guilty of the same. Especially when the one not mentioned, has a longer history of such....... Without the United States' complacency with Slavery, & or white supremacy for 80+ years as a nation, & a couple hundred years prior.... the Confederacy, & it's four year history could've never even happened.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
All of which can be attributed to Old Glory just as easily, & in some cases for many more years.

Don't misread me, I love this country, & our flag. I am one who wrote a blank check to the government to defend it. However, I get pretty irritated with the nonsense of attempting to attach the CBF to the klan, or any other hate group. My previous comment stands, & is fact. For every picture of a hater with the CBF, I can show one of a hater with Old Glory. That little fact seems to escape those attempting to connect hate & the CBF.
No doubt racist organizations have tried to change their image over the years. The post-WW1 Klan emphasized 'America First' and used Old Glory as their symbol. In the 1960s until today, the Klan largely replaced the American Flag with the CBF. Today's racists use both those and other symbols.
The fact remains that at least as far as New Jersey's governor is concerned, he believes he can 'make hay' by bashing the CBF.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
I'm not the one playing games. It's disingenuous to denounce one group yet, not another when both are guilty of the same. Especially when the one not mentioned, has a longer history of such....... Without the United States' complacency with Slavery, & or white supremacy for 80+ years as a nation, & a couple hundred years prior.... the Confederacy, & it's four year history could've never even happened.

So I can take this as you denouncing the CSA? Or was Northern racism ok in your book?

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
It's a piece of nylon, one that today represents the people of a particular state.

Well, that's to say the white heritage Confederate people of that state (Mississippi). Let's not leave out the thousands of heritage blacks who also lived under the Confederacy when we talk of the people of that state; the Confederate symbol is not representing them.

My little dog could be a symbol of white supremacy if I choose it to be...

No. Unless and until your little dog is established as a symbol of white supremacy in popular society, it's inconsequential as a symbol of white supremacy. Such a personal assignation is meaningless unless you are famous or infamous. And btw, shame on you for attempting to trivialize the premise. Perhaps your hope is to slant that the very idea of flag banning is so silly it can be dismissed as a knee-jerk "politically-correct" response. It's more than that, get serious.

Last edited:

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant

Which still doesn't let the Confederacy off the hook. The Confederate nation uniquely founded itself on the very idea of continuing and expanding slavery. That's a bit more culpable than allowing slavery to slip by in the interest of Union, the original sin of the nation.

(Just so you know, we realize the hope in equating past slavery in the whole country with southern slavery under the Confederacy is to sway folks into thinking southern slavery under the Confederacy as somewhat justified by "fair" comparison (i.e. "Mommy, Billy did it too").

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Ive been reading this thread for a few days and was not going to chime but after reading some of this Edited. and a few Sam Adams I decided I would NOT chime in due to the fact that the only thing I know about NJ is from my 10 weeks in the Garden State and during the whole time I never saw a garden and every where I looked were yankees. When I drew my US Army issue I had a yankee civil service guy that was handing boots say "I bet thats the first pair of shoes you've ever had" from then on I keep my mouth shut so my Southern accent didn't come out did my 10 weeks and NEVER went back to the Garden State.

Goodman and Schwerner were from New York. They were buried under a dam in Mississippi. For real, not TV.
You quoted a another member's post, not mine.

I never said one word about about Goodman or Schwerner.

Civil WarTalk is a relatively easy site to learn and navigate.

For now, I'll assume you made an honest mistake and I'll l say no more.

I only ask that you're sure of the correct post . . before you use the quote function.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.