Restricted Debate New Jersey governor has had the Mississippi state flag removed from Liberty Park.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
If you go to Liberty Park to view the Statue of Liberty there will now only be 49 state flags because the Mississippi state flag was "Reprehensible" due to the Confederate symbol on the Mississippi state flag. Is this a bit too far? Way too far? Should Mississippi stop flying the New Jersey flag?

I will be going to New Jersey next spring and wonder if this could effect tourism in New Jersey.

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
It seems a bit much to me. I haven't seen the display, but I naturally wonder if a gap will be left, and if that will raise more questions than it settles.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
i think the people of New Jersey have a right, through their elected officials, to fly or not fly and flag they want. So the question is not about their rights to stop flying a flag, but is it something they should do?

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
I believe this is a display at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Emphasis on "State". The state of New Jersey decides and pays for displays and facilities at the park, so the action is certainly legal although a simple, petty political stunt.
Should it have been done? That's up to the people of New Jersey to decide.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I agree, but doesn’t New Jersey have the right to say they don’t want to fly that flag in their state?
Discrimination is just that, discrimination.

NJ has the park for what reason? To display the flags of the individual United States. It should remain true to that purpose.

If not, take down all the flags and replace them with the NJ one on each of the flag poles.

I will be going to New Jersey next spring and wonder if this could effect tourism in New Jersey.
To answer your question . . . as a Mississipian . . . I feel this decision may severely impact Jersey tourism !

:bounce:

My people only travel up there to see where the HBO show The Soprano's was filmed.

:laugh:

Last edited:
If you go to Liberty Park to view the Statue of Liberty there will now only be 49 state flags because the Mississippi state flag was "Reprehensible" due to the Confederate symbol on the Mississippi state flag. Is this a bit too far? Way too far? Should Mississippi stop flying the New Jersey flag?

Does Mississippi actually fly the New Jersey flag at any of its state premises?

Viper21

Sergeant Major
To answer your question . . . as a Mississipian . . . I feel this decision may severely impact Jersey tourism !

:bounce:

My people only travel up there to see where the HBO show The Soprano's was filmed.

:laugh:
Other than Boot Camp (FT Dix, NJ), that was my only reason for wanting to see NJ :cool: Hands down, my favorite show of all time.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
If a park or monument is supposed to have all the state flags, it should have...all the state flags.
Who decides? After all Liberty State Park is a recreational facility owned, operated and maintained by New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!