New Jennie Wade House picture?

fldinosaur

Private
I found this picture on Pinterest and it led me to this site: http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/pa-haunted/
Supposed to have been taken around 1900.
Below it is one I took on my trip 5/14. Don't believe I've seen this one before.
JennyWadeCirca 1900.jpg

JennyWade 2014.jpg

The historic photo looks like it's "flopped" left-to-right.
Andy, you will find the old photo shows the other side of the house versus the new photo. The door the fatal bullet went through is on the side towards the square (the north side), not the side towards today's parking lot. So if you were standing on the street looking uphill (south) on Baltimore (as shown in the photo below), the first side of the house is the side the bullet penetrated.
Wagon Hotel 1884.jpg

The fork to the right of the hotel is now Steinwehr Avenue. Jennie Wade house is out of the frame to the left about where the man is standing at the sidewalk area. Here is another postcard photo of the house showing the side the bullet entered.
JENNIE WADE HOUSE & MONUMENT.JPG

And a photo taken circa 1903 from the same side.
jenny wade house 1903.jpg

It also shows the "downhill" side of the house that the bullet entered and killed her.

Last edited:
I have to ask a serious question I have been to Gettysburg a number of times and I cannot see how it is possible to shoot Jenny Wade from the Farnsworth house. I don't believe the angles matchup. Does anyone else think this ?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask a serious question I have been to Gettysburg a number of times and I cannot see how it is possible to shoot Jenny Wade from the funds worth I don't believe the angles matchup does anyone else think this.
Perhaps this fine article will shed more light on your question. I found it to be very interesting, especially the maps! http://july1863.homestead.com/jenniewade.html

It is fascinating that there were two families living in a divided house at that time. The half that Jennie Wade stayed in and was fatally wounded was the north side of the house. It is the south side of the basement is actually where she was carried on her last day.

Right the original photo shows the bullet ridden door.
Jenne Wade.jpg
Jenne Wade-2.jpg
JWdoor.jpg
JWFX.jpg

Attachments

• Jennie Wade LH.jpg
    Jennie Wade LH.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
Back