New image shows Billy the Kid playing croquet

There is some difference in fighting as a soldier in a war, and killing for sport and/or profit. Billy the Kid was a murderer. He had zero redeemimg qualities.

I’ve been a member of the BTK historical group for a while now and I used to have the same opinion as yourself but through lots of research carried out by some extremely knowledgeable people, my opinion has dramatically changed, in my humble opinion you are very wrong, You are of course entitled to your opinion as we all are.

Reactions: JMR
Ummmm...I grew up near Hico. I was there a LOT. My dad was a Billy the Kid nut. Nobody knew squat about Brushy Bill or cared until the danged movie came out (which is nice because Kiefer Sutherland and Lou Diamond Phillips, but is a steaming pile of dog poop as far as facts).
Agreed, but if it gets people interested in finding out the real facts then that’s all good.

I’ve been a member of the BTK historical group for a while now and I used to have the same opinion as yourself but through lots of research carried out by some extremely knowledgeable people, my opinion has dramatically changed, in my humble opinion you are very wrong, You are of course entitled to your opinion as we all are.

Was he a murderer?

I'm certain this is Billy the Kid. The hat and sweater, the strong facial resemblance (including prominent ears), the location (arid hills with white oaks, obviously the southwest), the fact they're playing croquet which Billy's English employer John Tunstall was known to be fond of, the dating... it just seems undeniable to me. This photo is of someone. It boggles my mind to think there was another group of people in the southwest circa late 1870s who have all these profound similarities to Billy and his gang. It's obvious why some rich collector was willing to pay $5 million for it.

Those snarky, dismissive historians quoted in True West Magazine really point to something I've noticed for a long time about historians and people in general. Self-appointed experts really hate anyone else stealing their thunder. It's sour grapes.

Last edited:
I'm certain this is Billy the Kid. The hat and sweater, the strong facial resemblance (including prominent ears), the location (arid hills with white oaks, obviously the southwest), the fact they're playing croquet which Billy's English employer John Tunstall was known to be fond of, the dating... it just seems undeniable to me. This photo is of someone. It boggles my mind to think there was another group of people in the southwest circa late 1870s who have all these profound similarities to Billy and his gang. It's obvious why some rich collector was willing to pay $5 million for it.

Those snarky, dismissive historians quoted in True West Magazine really point to something I've noticed for a long time about historians and people in general. Self-appointed experts really hate anyone else stealing their thunder. It's sour grapes.
There was a documentary narrated by Kevin Costner called ‘Billy the Kid, New evidence’, it’s available on YouTube, they actually managed to find the location of the photo,the tintype was taken less than a mile from John Tunstall’s house, and the croquet, that’s very English and something that John Tunstall would have enjoyed.
Here’s a screenshot of the tintype overlay.
FFFFE480-65C5-4BDE-B655-251AEC7CC55C.png

I suppose we should quit paying our troops, we certainly wouldn't want them to profit from their service and potentially killing someone...…..just providing housing and food should be enough

Curious about say the eagle squadron, flying tigers or the Lincoln Brigade......where do they fall in the paid to kill category?...….

I suspect it has more to do with whether one likes the cause.....then whether they are getting paid or profiting.

BTW we outsourced military security to an estimated 20,000 armed contractors in Iraq..........in effect.....mercenaries......

Last edited:
Back