New Host(s) Battlefield Preservation (with a bit of archaeology)...

Waterloo50

Major
Hello everyone,
just a quick post to let you know that I’m going to be co-hosting the Battlefield Preservation forum.
My hope is that we can enable some good discussions around the work being carried out on these sites and to raise awareness of the urgent need for preservation.
I’ve a particular interest in archaeology and I’m reasonably up to date on the various archaeological methods used for interpreting evidence from these historic battlefield sites, I only mention my interest in archaeology because I may be of some assistance in helping others to understand how archaeology applies to battlefield preservation. My personal point of view is that archaeology can sometimes come across as a bit of a boring and stuffy subject but it doesn’t have to be like that, when you understand how archaeology works then it’s a pretty fascinating subject. I’d encourage those that enjoy metal detecting or magnet fishing or those that like exploring civil war sites to join us and contribute to the discussions. Like many others, I’m absolutely fascinated by the numerous vids of people that use metal detectors to uncover historic artefacts and to be honest, without the efforts of those that give up their free time to look for artefacts we’d know and understand far less than we currently do about the civil war.

So before I waffle on too much, I’d just like to say that we here on the preservation forum would welcome anyone that wants to contribute to the discussions, we’re all here to learn and share knowledge..I’m honestly looking forward to hearing from others, it should be very interesting. :thumbsup:
Regards Waterloo50..

Good evening all.

I wanted to drop a line and introduce myself as a co-host alongside Waterloo50.

I've passionate about the preservation of history for as long as I can remember. My undergraduate degree was in Historic Preservation but I never was able to break into the field. While teaching and coaching, I have done research for folks on their various historical requests and genealogy. I've always wanted to be involved in Battlefield Preservation and this forum is probably my best available option at the moment.

Preservation occurs in a great many ways. Techniques and methods differ at the federal, state, and local levels - as well as from the public to the private sector. I live in Missouri, the state with the third most amount of battles and skirmishes, but a state that has not preserved a great many of those areas.

I'm looking forward to learning about places that need Preservation, or hearing about projects in which everyone has been involved with that involve Preservation of these important sites. My hometown was host to four battles. None of the land has been officially preserved, though some of it is in private hands and has never been developed.

Also, I may be intermittent for a few weeks as we are in the middle of selling and buying and moving to a house.

Looking forward to the contributions!

Hey and welcome. Battlefield preservation is so important, especially with so many trying to brush over history.
When you realize how many battlefields have been permanently lost in the name of "progress" it makes it that much more important

Back