New Hope Church Art

Jetblasted

Private
Hello,

I am a new member & I was hoping someone might be able to answer this.

Does anyone know of an art print depicting the Battle of New Hope Church in Paulding County, GA?

My Gr. Gr. Grandfather was a member of the 40th Georgia, Company A, Paulding County Volunteers, and although he died in 1862 in Knoxville, some of his fellow soldiers were in the Battle at New Hope Church in Paulding County, GA.

Today, I visited the site & it hit me like a lightning bolt when I realized that men from the 40th GA, Co A & F defended their positions "in the cemetery". Unlike Baker & Clayton's men, who were able to build earth-works, Stovall's men used cemetery headstones as cover.

The GA 40th, Co A & F was comprised of men from Paulding County, GA & they were defending their County from an invading army, while standing atop the graves of their ancestors & forefathers.

Think about that for a moment ...

Does any member of this site know of an art depiction of the scene I just described?
I'd loved to have a framed print if anyone knows of one.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am a new member & I was hoping someone might be able to answer this.

Does anyone know of an art print depicting the Battle of New Hope Church in Paulding County, GA?

My Gr. Gr. Grandfather was a member of the 40th Georgia, Company A, Paulding County Volunteers, and although he died in 1862 in Knoxville, some of his fellow soldiers were in the Battle at New Hope Church in Paulding County, GA.

Today, I visited the site & it hit me like a lightning bolt when I realized that men from the 40th GA, Co A & F defended their positions "in the cemetery". Unlike Baker & Clayton's men, who were able to build earth-works, Stovall's men used cemetery headstones as cover.

The GA 40th, Co A & F was comprised of men from Paulding County, GA & they were defending their County from an invading army, while standing atop the graves of their ancestors & forefathers.

Think about that for a moment ...

Does any member of this site know of an art depiction of the scene I just described?
I'd loved to have a framed print if anyone knows of one.

Thank you very much in advance.
Welcome to the forums.

I don't think this is what you had in mind, but I did find this image,
Battle of New Hope Church.jpg

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/gastudiesimages/Battle of New Hope Church.htm

Welcome to the forums.

I don't think this is what you had in mind, but I did find this image,
View attachment 93592
http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/gastudiesimages/Battle of New Hope Church.htm

Thank you for the reply. I was worried this might not get noticed.

I have seen the drawing of "Hell Hole" that you posted, but I'm more interested in a scene from the cemetery.

I'm beginning to think one does not exist. At this point I'd consider commissioning one, at a "reasonable" cost.

Thank you

Thank you for the reply. I was worried this might not get noticed.

You're quite welcome !

It sometimes takes a day or two to get fully registered on the site. You're good to go now. :smile:

For some reason this post was still in the unregistered guest que.

I asked a moderator to move your thread into the art forum. Hopefully someone may know about more paintings of New Hope Church.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any paintings, but the forum did have a thread about photos of New Hope Church about a year and a half ago. The photo in the original post and the second and third photos in post #3 were taken shortly after the battle.
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/new-hope-church-battlefield.104948/

There doesn't appear to be very much info on this battle. The Pauding County SVC Hardee Camp 1397 erected a monument in 2014 commemorating the battle. They did mention in an inscription on the monument that the 40th Co. A & Co. F were from Paulding County & they did battle from within the cemetery.

Sorry, I am so late to the party (4 years)!

Rick Reeves did a nice painting entitled, Holding the Position depicting the Battle of New Hope Church. I was always fond of it! Prints of it are available on the secondary market. I live in West Cobb and hunt relics in Paulding all the time.
H1740-L99104684-1.jpg

Back