New Historical Marker on the Slave Trade

John Winn

Major
I don't even try. Imagine Hermione Granger trying to be funny (you get the picture)

Well, a little irony then ? I had no idea who Hermione Granger is; had to look it up. So I didn't get the picture (except by clever deduction). I'm not a very mainstream type so these references often elude me (no TV, no social media, still have a land line).

I do, though, have an attraction to things a bit sick and twisted (probably because I'm a pessimist as to human nature) and appreciate doses of parody, satire, and even sarcasm. I, of course, then think everybody else does, too, only to have to repeatedly learn that they don't. Should we meet in Gettysburg I'll try to be "just the facts" but if it's after my second glass of red then ...:whistling:

C. Kelp

Retired User
Okay... sigh.... the whole explanation:

The engineer thing started in post #87 where two eyed jack wrote, "There was another thread about war not being fair. The same can be said for history. As a matter of fact, if history were fair, there would be road markers everywhere for us engineers."

I took that to be funny. Not ha ha roll on the floor laughing funny, but ironic dry humor with some painful truth. Poor fellow, he's an engineer, he builds important things like bridges, and even surveys the roads themselves (I took him to be that kind of engineer, but there are admittedly other possibilities) and his profession doesn't get any road markers. Just politicians, generals, slaves, etc. get the markers. It's not fair! (Said with mock anguish to the universe in general.)

If I read it wrong, my apologies to two eyed jack. I sometimes read dry humor where it's not intended. I took JPK Huson 1863's reply to be somewhat serious confusion about what it meant. I liked the original joke and thought I'd do my best to continue it, while sharing a bit of real information. I first looked for images of slaves doing engineering tasks, preferably in an African setting, with minimal luck.

Banneker was at least a black grandson of a slave, who had a Washington connection, if not an African connection and it's all in the news right now about the first lady acknowledging the slaves who built the white house. But the black engineer who laid out the city still doesn't get any credit. It's not fair!

I would argue that Banneker was indeed an engineer. From tbe earlier link: "internationally known polymath: farmer, engineer, surveyor, city planner, astronomer, mathematician, inventor, author, and social critic." Even today, his work surveying the city would classify him as an engineer. "Career Definition for a Survey Engineer. Survey engineers ... measurements are used to plan roadways and tunnels, build pipelines and bridges.... Many work in the field, collecting information while others are based in an office, analyzing data. They are employed by private engineering or surveying firms, government agencies and municipalities, or as independent consultants."

Sigh. I've had people accuse me of having no sense of humor, but this is what happens when I read something that really struck me as great dry humor and tried to reply in the same humorous vein. I dunno. Maybe I have too much of a sense of humor that's too quirky, and missed the fact that two eyed jack was actually dead serious. Not sure how to handle it, since all this surely wasn't worth it for a little joke.

based on his other posts i assumed two eyed jack was serious. i thought jpk hudson's joke was great. i guess , like i said earlier, that we are pretty much in agreement. sorry.
since you brought it up again though .... on banneker,he was self taught, he was a surveyor, an astronomer, and mathematician, but as to engineer he had no formal education.

Banneker, a self-taught astronomer, was over 60 at the time.He readily agreed to make the astronomical observations for the south corner stone while Ellicott and field crews did the actual surveying. Between February and April of 1791,Banneker made observations and mathematical calculations upon which the first stone marker was placed at Jones Point on the Potomac River in Alexandria. Va. Ill health forced him to return home. In ApriL Ellicott completed the survey and set the remaining markers-40 In all-by January 1793.

In 1791, Andrew Ellicott, George’s cousin, hired Banneker to assist in surveying territory for the nation’s capital city. He worked in the observatory tent using a zenith sector to record the movement of the stars. However, due to a sudden illness, Banneker was only able to work for Ellicott for about three months.

He did not plan Washington DC, or recall from memory L'efiant's (sp) plan. He did build a clock (when he was little) that kept accurate time. he designed the gears and all the clock works, but i'm not sure that qualifies as an engineer. if it does then so am i. i am the inventor of the catamanoe (redneck party barge). it is a device that attaches any two canoes to form a catamaran . :thumbsup:

Last edited:

C. Kelp

Retired User
Every morning, Michelle Obama looks out on streets originally surveyed by a black man from a slave family, but does she give him any credit? Noooo... The engineers lose out again.
i can be slow sometimes. this is your joke ? aimed at two eyed jack ? ya got me ! :D
"i'm going to have to keep my eye on you guys" Kingpin