New Historical Marker on the Slave Trade

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has just installed a new historical marker at Penn's Landing to mark Pennsylvania's participation in slavery.

PennsLandingMarker.jpg

Gene Green

Sergeant
You're kidding me, right? How much more acknowledgement can there be?
it acknowledges that black people in the US are as American as the Pennsylvania Dutch and every other group of european immigrants . you see it as an acknowledgement that many south carolinians were penalized while PA got off easy. well they didn't . 33,183 (9.2% of Union deaths) PAers died . the fact that northern states had participated in slavery does not make it any less abhorrent , however it did not have to be ripped out of the north at a cost of around a million lives. ***Edited for modern issues by Chellers.***

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
White guilt?

Two Eyed Jack said:

What does this mean? Why is there so much push-back whenever slavery is commemorated as part of the history of the US? Why is there somehow a limit on how much or often slavery is acknowledged, yet this never comes up for any other marker regarding the Civil War -- not romantic? Is it inconvenient? Does it not fit the narrative? WHY?

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
What does this mean? Why is there so much push-back whenever slavery is commemorated as part of the history of the US? Why is there somehow a limit on how much or often slavery is acknowledged, yet this never comes up for any other marker regarding the Civil War -- not romantic? Is it inconvenient? Does it not fit the narrative? WHY?

Because then most of us would have to face the historical, proven fact that slavery brought on the Civil War and that Jim Crow did everything short of open warfare to keep it in place.

Suzanne A

Corporal
I assume such markers are local in the George Washington Slept Here tradition. If I go to a historic city, say New Orleans, which had a renowned slave market, I would like to see a marker telling me where it was and a bit about it. It's something that happened there of historic interest. Isn't that obvious? Is it only white men that deserve historic markers?

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Do you live in an area where most historical markers tell the story of African Americans? Around here they are few and far between. We have more markers telling the story of where George Washington slept during his one-week tour of Long Island than telling the stories of the thousands of black slaves who were held in bondage here.

Also, Penn's Landing was a sort of dark Ellis Island for many black families. It was the origin point for African Americans in that part of the U.S.