New Guy with a New gun, HELP!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

poorjack

Private
I do believe I will attend this show I need alot of equipment as long as an Enfield for my close friend as he wants to join me! Thanks for the info!
Uhmm, it ain't a show, it's full on competition with Civil War arms including artillery. If you get there on Friday, IIRC, there will be the revolver match, smoothbore match and mortar match. Saturday will be carbines, Henrys, and artillery. Most of the Sutlers stay open till about 6-7pm. Sunday am is the musket match, phases 1 & 2. The schedule should be posted on our main website. (!See the sticky!)

You'll find lots of stuff for sale like the necessary leather goods. There are a number of bargain tables where you can score some cool stuff if you take time to look. I've gotten a couple molds for under $10 that I currently use. And yes, there will be more original guns and other equipment there than you would ever see at any reenactment. Kinda like a museum where the exhibits are for sale. I've been to a lot of reenactments and nowhere will you see as much original stuff. S&S and Lodgewood are always worth a visit. Moose Molds is usually there. Other things I like about NSSA v reenacting, no drill, no standing in ranks in the hot sun waiting for somebody to extract their head from an unatural place, no thread counters, and no portajohns. Our main focus is competing with live ammo in Civil War arms. There are a few of us on this board who will be there. This Nationals, I'll be working in the Stat shack compiling scores.

Finally, if you do come, you HAVE to visit BackCreek Gun shop at the exit to the Fort for real black powder and caps. Prices are better than about anywhere else and the proprietor is a Skirmisher as well.

I can guarantee you'll enjoy coming to a Nationals.

Package4

2nd Lieutenant
I do believe I will attend this show I need alot of equipment as long as an Enfield for my close friend as he wants to join me! Thanks for the info!
Whatever you do, do not buy uniform articles at the Nationals, with all due respect to those who compete, I have yet to see an authentic ACW uniform at the event. Many friends of mine who shoot there tell me “ it’s a shooting match not a dress up”, when I kid them about the inauthenticity.

The matches are fun and worth visiting.

heavydutyco2

Cadet
@poorjack , My apologies sir it is a competition, I do believe I will attend the competition and check out the sutlers row to see what all goodies there is! @Package4 I plan on using a sutler shop to get my uniform so i can be accurate, also i am going to have a hell of a time finding stuff to fit me..im 6'4 350lbs :biggrin:

Package4

2nd Lieutenant
Best thing you can do for a kit, is to visit Gettysburg, prior to October, go first to S&S ask for Tim Sheads. Tim will help you out. Regimental Quartermaster is good for a bayonet, but you need to hand fit.

Even before you do all of that is to determine which reenacting group to join, as Confederate uniforms are not as generic as Federal. Best advice is to go slow, things are expensive and mistakes can be costly. eBay can be good if you know what you are looking for, Facebook as well.

heavydutyco2

Cadet
Best thing you can do for a kit, is to visit Gettysburg, prior to October, go first to S&S ask for Tim Sheads. Tim will help you out. Regimental Quartermaster is good for a bayonet, but you need to hand fit.

Even before you do all of that is to determine which reenacting group to join, as Confederate uniforms are not as generic as Federal. Best advice is to go slow, things are expensive and mistakes can be costly. eBay can be good if you know what you are looking for, Facebook as well.
oh i have seen how costly it can be already my fire chief and i have been looking for a little over two years to find a CS company to fit in we have looked at the Virginia 10th the Maryland 2nd co.d Virginia 13th co. I (this company's beginning is located in Romney where we camp and spend alot of time) but most of them are far travel just for us to meet and greet or for usual drill

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!