New Guy from NYC

Hi all

New Guy from western Long Island aka Queens, NYC
member of the Company H, 119th NY Historical society
and Willis company as weel as lead musician of 119th NY and National Regiment field musics
Nice little place y'all got here, think I'll stick around for awhile, thanks for having me

Joe Korber:thumbsup:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ami

Major General
Super Moderator
hey! We are practically neighbors!

Mike and I just moved from our lovely country town in PA back to his home town of Clifton NJ.

Nice to meet you, hope you enjoy it here.

30th_il said:
Hello Joe....what instrument(s) do you play?
Long time fifer (25 + years)
long time piper (20 yrs)
various lengths and pitches of whistles
and keyless flutes
dabbling in bugle now as well
own a set of bones
and can hold my own on the didgeridoo

Joe korber:thumbsup:

william42

First Sergeant
Good to have you on the board Jkorber. Is there a basic instruction book that one would pick up to learn to play the fife? And what about a basic, not too expensive fife? It's pretty slim pickin's here in southern Indiana, as far as finding a fife. I know nothing about them. Any hints? (I can read music a little, you know...All Good Boys Do Fine, or is it Good Boys Do Fine Always?.. and FACE,...but that's about it. I can read drum music, but all of those notes are on the same line. Is it possible to teach yourself to play the fife? From a book? :shrug:

Terry

william42

First Sergeant
Every! Thanks Miss Markie. That would make sense because the first space would be F as in FACE, and E comes before F. Thank you. Now all I need's a fife. and a teacher, and a book, and a music stand, and a metronome. Hey, I'm on my way! :D

william42 said:
Good to have you on the board Jkorber. Is there a basic instruction book that one would pick up to learn to play the fife? And what about a basic, not too expensive fife? It's pretty slim pickin's here in southern Indiana, as far as finding a fife. I know nothing about them. Any hints? (I can read music a little, you know...All Good Boys Do Fine, or is it Good Boys Do Fine Always?.. and FACE,...but that's about it. I can read drum music, but all of those notes are on the same line. Is it possible to teach yourself to play the fife? From a book? :shrug:

Terry

I must begine with "there is no substitute for a real teacher" that being said I am aware that there are many, especially west of Gettysburg say, who simply can not find a teacher (fife and drum seems to be, with a few exceptions a creature of the coast eminating out of the northeast), two things you can do.
1) go to fifeanddrum.com and check their directory to see if there's anyone near ya.

2)go to beafifer.com and check out the DYI manual that many have had sucess with.

as far as instruments go, by far, for a beginner, the best made, easiest to use, least expensive, would be the good ole fashion black plastic fife with the little brass ends. Available in alot of historic site gift shops and also at fifeanddrum.com
Why is it good? well its fairly well made, and inexpensive. Some of the less expensive wood fifes, made, are very hit and miss in manufacturing quality and workmanship, as they are really not intended for serious playing they can almost hinder your learning
The plastic ones, on the other hand, have been used consistently and sucessfully as a beginners instrument for many many years. This is because of its ease of play and low low price. Get a plastic and try it out, if you find its not for you, you haven't lost alot of money. If it works for ya and progress, then upgrade to a wooden fife (quality wood fifes begin at about 110 dollars on up). Good Luck!! and feel free to ask me anything
I'll always have an answer (even if its "I don't know")

cheers
Joe Korber :thumbsup:

william42

First Sergeant
Jkorber, thanks so much for your reply and all the info. It tells me exactly what I need to know to begin, which is what I was hoping. Been wanting to do this for some time, but as I said, I didn't know where to start. Will follow up on both those links you posted, and see where I can end up. Much obliged. And you can count on my asking more questions as I progress. Thanks again for your post, and, again, good to have you on the board. Hope you stay a while. :smile:

Terry

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Terry:
Skip the music stand and metronome. Keep time with your marching feet. Try to do this in some remote location where your neighbors won't see. Watch out for strange dogs--they seem to object to the shrill tones of a fife.
Ole

welcome Joe

Welcome to our domain Joe.......great fife playing @ the reenactment.
Give my best to the 119th and 67th for me. I will keep in touch with ya.

Harry

william42

First Sergeant
Hi Joe. I finally ordered the Tutorial from Ed Boyle, and a fife. I've been wanting to do this for some time, and I've always loved the sound of the fife and drum. Thanks again for your help on this, and I'll let you know how I progress, that is assuming I will stick with it. I was a pretty decent drummer at one time, though my "chops" are long gone now. If I can get a good handle on the fife I'd like to get into reenacting at some point. We'll see. :smile: Take care.

Terry

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!