Grant New Grant photograph!

A first for me as well. Always exciting coming across new pictures from the Civil War or at least new to my eyes.
Having a particular fondness for Grant, I literally gasped when I came across this one -- one that, unlike all the others, I hadn't already seen in a hundred places. (And, as several commenters have said, it is a nice one.)

Last edited:
Great find!!! Here is another link to the same photograph as a card.

http://historical.ha.com/itm/photography/rare-ulysses-s-grant-carte-de-visite/a/6131-47318.s

The card bears the imprint on the reverse of photographer Henry Warren of Waltham, Massachusetts.
Actually, the Boston Athenaeum site does describe it as a carte de visite.
But thanks so much for providing this link, which tells us who the photographer actually was -- an important piece of information, which nevertheless seems to be missing from the Boston Athenaeum's description.

Actually, the Boston Athenaeum site does describe it as a carte de visite.
But thanks so much for providing this link, which tells us who the photographer actually was -- an important piece of information, which nevertheless seems to be missing from the Boston Athenaeum's description.
I had hoped that posting the photographer's name would be beneficial. I am curious as to when it was taken.

So it is.
From an album made up before 1911. Enlarging the photo actually increases the sharpness, and it doesn't look so 'manipulated.' There's another cdv in the album with a bust image taken from the same plate. Also another seated in the same chair, facing right with background, and one standing that looks like it might have been taken at the same time. And a lot of other ACW images -- many of them unfamiliar to me:
http://cdm.bostonathenaeum.org/cdm/search/searchterm/Mason, Alice, ca. 1836-1911./mode/exact
Thank you, John, for alerting us to this other great photo! I'm not sure if I've seen this one before or not.
6057coll2&CISOPTR=14&action=2&DMSCALE=45&DMWIDTH=332&DMHEIGHT=483&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0.jpg

Same chair, same hat, but completely different photo, also taken ca. 1865. He appears to be sitting in front of his cabin at City Point.

I'm always impressed by how slender he was. Most folks' image of Grant (including mine, before I became a Civil War buff) comes from the picture we see on the $50 bill. But that picture, of a more "prosperous"-looking Grant, was not taken until after eight years of fine dining in the White House!

Thank you, John, for alerting us to this other great photo! I'm not sure if I've seen this one before or not.
6057coll2&CISOPTR=14&action=2&DMSCALE=45&DMWIDTH=332&DMHEIGHT=483&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0.jpg

Same chair, same hat, but completely different photo, also taken ca. 1865. He appears to be sitting in front of his cabin at City Point.

I'm always impressed by how slender he was. Most folks' image of Grant (including mine, before I became a Civil War buff) comes from the picture we see on the $50 bill. But that picture, of a more "prosperous"-looking Grant, was not taken until after eight years of fine dining in the White House!
I noticed that one (mentioned it in passing in my post #17). As I look it over, I'm not altogether sure its the same chair (same style, but the turning on the spindles looks a little different -- I may be wrong), or the same uniform coat (though may be its the same one buttoned up to the collar in one, lapels turned back in the other). Lots of interesting and some unfamiliar pics in that album.

I agree that even most wartime photos make Grant look more "stocky" than slender.

I decided to look up this image in my copy of "Civil War - A complete Photographic History" by William C. Davis and Bell L. Wiley. Imagine to my surprise when I looked at the index to find that there was no reference to Grant at all. Apparently he was not an important figure during the war. :giggle: Seriously though, I was shocked to see that he was not listed, there are a number of images of him, just no listing in the index.

Thanks for sharing the image I have not seen it either. Technically though I would classify this as a "New find" as I don't think that there have been any "new" Grant images taken for a long time. :wink:

I thought I'd seen every photograph of Grant ever made, but I stumbled upon this one in a book I bought several months ago that's not about Grant at all: The Sacrificial Years: A Chronicle of Walt Whitman's Experiences in the Civil War. Since Whitman spent 1863 through 1866 working as a volunteer nurse in military hospitals, most of the book's 50 photographs are of battlefields, hospitals and Whitman himself. But there was one photo each of Grant and Lee, and I think this one of Grant is a treasure.

6057coll2&CISOPTR=16&action=2&DMSCALE=45&DMWIDTH=333&DMHEIGHT=478&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0.jpg

So how about it, Grant fans? Any of y'all seen this one before?

Partly egged on by your recent thread, I finally worked up the enthusiasm to create my own, one I'd actually been thinking about for some time; of course as you can see, mine was quite a bit easier due to the relative dearth of material to work with:

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/thomas-jonathan-jackson-in-photographs.114081/#post-1129536

I think this is the same as the photo in post #32, but sepia version.

I'd like to point out that the tall flat-topped hat is almost certainly an officer's or even enlisted man's regulation Hardee hat - and other than the officer's hat cord lacks the trimmings of insignia and ostrich plumes and of course hasn't been looped up on the side. I owned and briefly wore a reproduction Hardee like this before having a friend completely convert it to an officer's with all the trimmings for reenactment purposes.

Back