New from the Buckeye State, and a question

Greetings!

I became much more interested in this period in history when I was working on my wife's genealogy, and learned that her ancestors were Unionists from Alabama. Before that I'd never even known that was a thing. When they taught us in school that brother fought brother, I just assumed that was because one lived in the North and the other in the South.

Right now I'm reading Carl Sandburg's biography of Lincoln.

A rather distant cousin of mine has started sharing some of his items with me, as he has no descendants and wants to make sure they are cared for and appreciated after he passes. Recently he gave me a belt buckle that I'd like to learn more about. He (we) have a common ancestor that fought in the Civil War, and while I know this resembles a buckle used then, there are also tons of later models, reproductions, etc. I'd like to know more about this if anyone can help.

I've noticed it has 12 stars - most I've found pictures of have ten, but this has one above each side of the silver crest. I think it's bronze. It has no proof marks that I can see. I have no idea if the red canvas is original to it or not. The catch on the back seems longer than many I've seen pictures of.

Thoughts?

IMG_20190303_173416432.jpg

IMG_20190303_173448914.jpg

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
Greetings!

I became much more interested in this period in history when I was working on my wife's genealogy, and learned that her ancestors were Unionists from Alabama. Before that I'd never even known that was a thing. When they taught us in school that brother fought brother, I just assumed that was because one lived in the North and the other in the South.

Right now I'm reading Carl Sandburg's biography of Lincoln.

A rather distant cousin of mine has started sharing some of his items with me, as he has no descendants and wants to make sure they are cared for and appreciated after he passes. Recently he gave me a belt buckle that I'd like to learn more about. He (we) have a common ancestor that fought in the Civil War, and while I know this resembles a buckle used then, there are also tons of later models, reproductions, etc. I'd like to know more about this if anyone can help.

I've noticed it has 12 stars - most I've found pictures of have ten, but this has two above each side of the silver crest. I think it's bronze. It has no proof marks that I can see. I have no idea if the red canvas is original to it or not. The catch on the back seems longer than many I've seen pictures of.

Thoughts?

View attachment 295237

View attachment 295238
Welcome aboard from the Railroads and Steam Locomotives forum. Where in Ohio are you from? I'm from Toledo.

Welcome aboard from the Railroads and Steam Locomotives forum. Where in Ohio are you from? I'm from Toledo.
Thanks! I'm on the extreme eastern edge of Williams County, so about an hour from you depending on where you are in the city.

Great buckle! Someone will be along shortly with information. Meanwhile, welcome, :wavespin: from the awesome (but tornado torn) state of Alabama! Pray for us. Twenty-three dead from yesterday's onslaught, and many missing.

There were many Unionists in Alabama (see attached map), including my ancestors. One of them was conscripted at gunpoint to serve in the Confederacy. See my signature below for a book I wrote about their experience.

Secession Map.jpg

Great buckle! Someone will be along shortly with information. Meanwhile, welcome, :wavespin: from the awesome (but tornado torn) state of Alabama! Pray for us. Twenty-three dead from yesterday's onslaught, and many missing.

There were many Unionists in Alabama (see attached map), including my ancestors. One of them was conscripted at gunpoint to serve in the Confederacy. See my signature below for a book I wrote about their experience.

View attachment 295240
Are you ok? Heartbreaking to hear what has happened.

VERY sorry to hear about the tornadoes, Gladys. I lived in Tennessee for a while and remember those violent winter storms.

That map is very interesting. Again, if they mentioned Southern Unionists in school I certainly don't remember it.

I will say my late father-in-law wasn't exactly happy when I found out about his ancestors. He had identified in some ways with those who fought for the Confederacy and had assumed his ancestors did as well.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)