First Bull Run New Forum Host Reporting In/ Trying to determine interest levels and/or what people would want from the First Bull Run/ Manassas forum in the future

The civilian side of it? There's a lot of shock/horror over civilians viewing the battle, some making a day out over it. Some politicians went too, from what I can see there to support troops ( from their states, etc. ). Quite a few were captured, ended up in Richmond prisons. Narratives would be awesome. Alfred Ely's book has some terrific stuff on it, although he tends to get excusatory and isn't always accurate. DC also sounds a little like Brussels during and after Waterloo? Be interesting to hear more? Wounded trickled into the city on their own steam, collapsed in the street and on doorsteps- civilians came to their aid.

Also the confusions apparent in a ' young ' war? Uniform colors not defined, friendly fire killing men. Also medical care- surgeons more swamped and overwhelmed than seems possible, poor guys. That's where it's always seemed to me everyone threw a war and forgot o bring band aids.

I definitely intend to look at sections of this.

[Must admit I hadnt really thought of the Brussels/ Waterloo analogy but now you mention it I should have for I know a little bit about that too. Will think on this and out of it may come an article... in due time. Actually this battle seems to be one that keeps on giving in terms of topics as the more I look the more I see.]

I definitely intend to look at sections of this.

[Must admit I hadnt really thought of the Brussels/ Waterloo analogy but now you mention it I should have for I know a little bit about that too. Will think on this and out of it may come an article... in due time. Actually this battle seems to be one that keeps on giving in terms of topics as the more I look the more I see.]

That's the thing- I'm terrible with Waterloo, just so long, chaotic action and frequently tough to read- so many shifts, if you're not an historian, get lost. ONLY thing that looked familiar was the citizen response ( had to have been the same in villages between Waterloo and Brussels, just can't find anything ), reminded me so much of ' what happened ' in DC, it stuck with me. Thanks for taking it on. It's this common humanity thing making it so notable.

Back