New Forum Host Introduction

drezac

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Hello. I'ml your new forum host Duane Rezac. I thought I would introduce myself and give you just a little of my background ( and I hope I have not just stepped in front of a double canister load :D ).

My interest in the Civil War began in 1998 when our son Adam (at the age of 12) walked up to a group recruiting at a local mall and asked them what he needed to do to join. We jointed, but after quickly finding out the group was somewhat dis-functional, left and joined the newly formed 1st Ohio State House Light Artillery, Battery A. Battery A works with 4 original guns that are on the Ohio State House grounds. Battery A has a mission to educate on Ohio's role in the Civil War through living history and operating the 4 original guns. With education as our primary mission, members of the battery do our best to be knowledgeable on the subject of Civil War artillery and Ohio during the war. As Adam progressed in school and school activities became more involved, he dropped out and shortly after so did I to spend time attending school activities with our sons Adam and Jacob. In 2014 I rejoined the Battery, and once Adam completed College, I encouraged him to rejoin. He did and quickly advanced through the ranks, becoming a Lieutenant his first year back, spending the next year training, and then he became Captain of Battery A. Our Captain must be approved by the Battery board ( we are a 501c3 Charitable Educational organization) and the Ohio State House, and is given a Official Commission as the Captain of Battery A. Currently, Myself, My wife Melodie (she does both civilian and chaplain) and Adam actively attend reenactments.

I have a small collection of books (both print and digital) that I use for reference regarding artillery and add to it as I find material that I think will be useful. When I rejoined the battery, I discovered that little was known about the guns and decided to try to research them, hoping to at least find a few interesting items we could use with the public. After going through a very large number of books, letters and telegrams in the State Archives, I was able to trace the history of the guns during the war. I am currently in the process of transcribing the information I have (about 200 letters and telegrams) and determining where I will need to do some additional research. My eventual goal is to compile the information into a book on the history of the guns.

Welcome, Looking forward to working with you. If you have any question just let me know.

Welcome to the new host club @drezac ! I could use your help over in the Reenactors forum, keep us abreast of what's going on with events over in your neck of the woods.

I'll do my best. We select our events at our first business meeting of the year, but from the list I have seen so far, looks like this may be a thin year up north.

It sounds as though the cannon and artillery forum is in good hands.

Back