New Find. Who are They?

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
2 soldiers lid.JPG 2 soldiers one lid.JPG IMG_0077 one soldier first picture.JPG Found these at an antique store. The two soldiers are from the Mathew Brady Gallery in NYC. The one soldier has a belt pistol, musket with fixed bayonet, what looks like a dagger and an unusual belt buckle. Any idea on who they might be or what regiment or anything at all? The single soldiers frame has a very interesting frame with the date, July 4 1776 in very small figures at the bottom of the oval. The two soldiers image seems to have Sibley tents in the background.

After looking closer and blowing it up I don't think its a rifleman's buckle

I am not getting a real clear view of the image but will give it a try. They are probably wearing early war New York jackets. The nine button roundabout jacket with epaulettes were fairly common early war state issued uniforms in several states, but the fact that the photos have New York on them pretty well locks in New York. It was not uncommon for New York Militia units and New York regiments to were number on the front of their caps. Photo galleries can be identified by they painted backdrops they used. Here the name is on the photo frame. New York would have received 1855 pattern rifleman's belts when they received rifles and other belts when they received muskets or rifle muskets. Can anyone tell what long arms are in the images?

forgot to add the blow up.
IMG_0077 one soldier first picture.JPG

Is he wearing a knife with a medal handle? What kind of pistol is he wearing? The answers to these could possible help identify the image.

Is it a sword belt without the straps? prop maybe? looking closer it does look like a round buckle kind of underneath the rings. Maybe bunched up to fit him?

I was thinking the same thing it is not a 2 piece early militia plate. I looked thru my plate books and there is not a state plate that resembles this. I think the knife, belt and pistol are indeed props as you can see a whole bunch of sag where the barrel sticks in the belt.

What kind of pistol is he wearing?

Its hard to tell what type pistol it is but is does have a BIG ole trigger guard and some very big buttons.
IMG_0077 one soldier first picture.JPG

Thanks for all the responses. I apologize for the less than stellar photos. I just got the iPhone for father's day. I tried to take a few better pictures at a higher resolution. I do know some about firearms and the revolver looks to me like a Colt Navy but the high reflection looks like a brass frame. I also enclose a photo of a corporal. I got the corporal about a year ago and went back to the shop recently where the owner had about ten of these that had not yet been put out in a glass case. When I mentioned last years purchase, the corporal, the proprietor went into the back and brought out some more Most were of civilians, one identified as a cowboy (?). The two I bought were clearly soldiers. I really have not collected these early photos very much. I am more a musket and saber kind of student but I am fascinated looking into their eyes and wondering what fate had in store for them. One rather delicate point. What is a good price for these? The corporal has the cover missing, the two with the Sibley tents in the background has the cover on, loosely and is scuffed up. The soldier with the odd buckle is in a case which looks pristine, no scuffs, bright, little brass latch closes it tightly. If I do start to actively collect these things I need to know from actual collectors, not dealers what they should run. I paid $25 each for them and think that a very good price but I am not certain what their actual value would be to other collectors.
blow uo.JPG
corporal.JPG
corporal.JPG

Last edited:
The guy that's triple armed would go in the $200 plus range.

The guy that's triple armed would go in the $200 plus range.
Thanks. I know E-Bay is not the way to gauge actual collector's value. I also notice that these tintypes are often advertised as 1/6 plate or something like that. What does that mean? And lastly, from studying other artifacts I am pretty good at recognizing counterfeits and repros. Are there such things in this area as well? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks. My wife was with me and I tried to convince her these two were a good buy. I think I'll call her in and show her what you wrote. Thanks, pard.

Back