New Exhibit on Immigrants in the Civil War "Opens"

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The Civil War Museum in Wisconsin is opening an exhibit on immigrants in the American Civil War. Phil Gast has an article on the exhibit on The Civil War Picket. I have a quote about mid-way through the article. Thanks Phil.

Immigrants contributed so much to wining the war. Col. Heg was a neighbor of my family back in Norway and one of those in Wisconsin 15th was my great+ uncle Andreas. Doing genealogical research, I found much more on him--and the entire unit--in the Norwegian archives than I did in Wisconsin records. That shouldn't be: these men contributed their youth, their toil and their very lives. I am so happy to see this. Thank you for bringing this up!

Pat what a timely and interesting thread! Immigrants who came to this country to better themselves and many for religious freedom! Many of those who came from European brought their Christmas traditions with them to this country such as the Germans and their Christmas tree.
Diversity has always been our strength
Regards
David

Pat what a timely and interesting thread! Immigrants who came to this country to better themselves and many for religious freedom! Many of those who came from European brought their Christmas traditions with them to this country such as the Germans and their Christmas tree.
Diversity has always been our strength
Regards
David
Merry Christmas David.

Immigrants contributed so much to wining the war. Col. Heg was a neighbor of my family back in Norway and one of those in Wisconsin 15th was my great+ uncle Andreas. Doing genealogical research, I found much more on him--and the entire unit--in the Norwegian archives than I did in Wisconsin records. That shouldn't be: these men contributed their youth, their toil and their very lives. I am so happy to see this. Thank you for bringing this up!
I'm heading over to my Norwegian mother in law's now. She turned 100 two weeks ago. Her 96 year old baby sister and 106 year old elder sister Helga sang to her in Norwegian. Pretty cool. It's like a history lesson sitting with them.

One of the chapters in the book I'm working on is on Knud Hansen, an immigrant from Norway who had the unwanted distinction of being the last identified prisoner to die at Andersonville (two more men died after him, but their identities are not known). He was a farmer from Wisconsin with four little kids (I think) and he got drafted. Maybe the saddest part is that he actually left Andersonville near the end of the war, heading to be exchanged, but there was an administrative glitch and his group was sent back to the prison. By the time they left for good, he was too sick to go with them. A sad story all the way around.

Back