New essay on McClellan and Lee's Lost Orders

Andrew

Corporal
1560212198508.png

It's available on Amazon Kindle for $3.99.

ADVANCE PRAISE FOR The Tale Untwisted

“Thorp and Rossino make a very persuasive case for McClellan having received the
Lost Orders in mid-afternoon and sending his dispatch to Lincoln at midnight on
September 13, 1862. If I were writing my Antietam book today, I would follow their
account.”
— James M. McPherson, author of Crossroads of Freedom: Antietam
and the Pulitzer prize-winning Battle Cry of Freedom

“This well documented and logical explanation of the controversial Lee’s ‘Lost
Orders’ debate finally puts the actions of General George McClellan in a proper
context. Before a single Union soldier took a step in response to any order based on
finding S.O. 191, Lee remarked that he found the Union army ‘advancing more
rapidly than convenient.’ Now we know why.”
— Thomas G. Clemens, editor of
The Maryland Campaign of September 1862, Vols. 1-3

“Gene Thorp and Alexander Rossino have written a clear, extremely well researched
essay exploring when Lee’s famous “lost orders,” Special Orders No. 191, came into
McClellan’s possession and how he responded to them. It is good history and anyone
with an interest in the 1862 Maryland Campaign will find it a fascinating and
illuminating read.”
— D. Scott Hartwig, author of
To Antietam Creek: The Maryland Campaign of September 1862

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

67th Tigers

1st Lieutenant
The essay proper is 48 pages. The rest is front and back matter, including a preview of a novel about Antietam S-B are publishing.

The content is excellent. Thorp has found new pieces of evidence and data that I wasn't aware of. I didn't know for example that Lincoln sent a message to McClellan in the evening prompting McClellan's midnight telegram. I didn't know that the signal delay was caused by the wire being down to Point of Rocks, and so it had to be carried to an optical telegraph station on Sugar Loaf, and transmitted optically to Point of Rocks.

The title is inspired. It is a reference to a Sears article - "The Twisted Tale of the Lost Order". I agree that Sears twisted the tale, and Thorp has untwisted it.

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Gene Thorp has been defending McClellan's role in the Maryland Campaign for a number of years. I have found his research to be well founded and his arguments worthy of serious consideration. Thorp's arguments have contributed to my reassessment over the past few years of McClellan's performance in the War.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!