New England Clam Chowder

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Here is a clam chowder recipe from "Early American Recipes" a collection of New England Family-Favorites By Heloise Frost.

New England Clam Chowder

Ingredients:

3-inch piece of salt prk
2 medium onions, sliced
2 cups potatoes, diced
salt
pepper
1 quart shucked claims or 24 shucked quahogs
1 quart whole milk
1 cup cream or evaorated milk

Preparation:

Fry out the salt pork. Drain the crisp scraps on paper, using the fat to cook the onions until tender. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper, and any liquor strained from the clams. Add just enough water to cover and cook while you prepare the clams.

Clip off the tip of the black neck. Pinch off soft black portion of the stomach. Chop the remainder rather coursely, then add to the chowder and cook gently until the potatoes are done.

Add the milk and cream and set aside to ripen. Any chowder needs to stand to have the best flavor.

Reheat before serving and thicken with 1 tablespoon flour in 1/4 cup milk or pour over a few common crackers soaked in milk.

The author, Heloise Frost comes from a family of native New Englanders, dating back to Elder Edmund Frost (1632) and Governor Winslow. Thus the recipes are traditional New England food deeply rooted.

Made it. It's good but the I'll thicken the leftover and I will add corn to it. (And I put in too much salt pork and not enough clams.)

I got something to make for dinner tomorrow night.....cool.

One question though, not being that familiar with cleaning clams (more of a fish guy myself). That thing about pinching off the black portion of the stomach, what exactly does the stomach of a clam look like?

sorry for sounding like a noob there.....

Here is a clam chowder recipe from "Early American Recipes" a collection of New England Family-Favorites By Heloise Frost.

New England Clam Chowder

Ingredients:

3-inch piece of salt prk
2 medium onions, sliced
2 cups potatoes, diced
salt
pepper
1 quart shucked claims or 24 shucked quahogs
1 quart whole milk
1 cup cream or evaorated milk

Preparation:

Fry out the salt pork. Drain the crisp scraps on paper, using the fat to cook the onions until tender. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper, and any liquor strained from the clams. Add just enough water to cover and cook while you prepare the clams.

Clip off the tip of the black neck. Pinch off soft black portion of the stomach. Chop the remainder rather coursely, then add to the chowder and cook gently until the potatoes are done.

Add the milk and cream and set aside to ripen. Any chowder needs to stand to have the best flavor.

Reheat before serving and thicken with 1 tablespoon flour in 1/4 cup milk or pour over a few common crackers soaked in milk.

The author, Heloise Frost comes from a family of native New Englanders, dating back to Elder Edmund Frost (1632) and Governor Winslow. Thus the recipes are traditional New England food deeply rooted.

with some nice clam cakes to go along with it..

You are invited, TinCan. Making a batch tomorrow or saturday.

Just have to get to the store for some of the ingredients.

Back