Chattanooga New CWPT Chattanooga Maps

Chattahooch33

Sergeant Major
Annual Winner
I absolutely love the CWPT maps they have on their site. They have done wonders for me finding ancestor's regiments on battlefields. They released 4 new ones today:
Missionary Ridge
Wauhatchie
Lookout Mountain
Tunnel Hill (Missionary Ridge)

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/chattanooga/chattanooga-maps/battle-of-lookout-mountain.html

chattanooga-lookout.jpg

Thanks - I used the map of the Missionary Ridge battle to try to find troop movements in relation with my old family home, but so far I can't find the streets - it' my old eyes again.

My home was just east of the ridge (on the next hill) on the far left flank of the Confederate line.

Good to see the map for Lookout Mountain. But as stated above, I can't read some of the CS unit ID's without registering and downloading. What are the two CS units on the West of the Ridge and facing Ireland's Brigade?

My great-grandfather was in the skirmish line of Walthall's brigade stretched along Lookout Creek.

Thanks for posting, their maps have always been of good use, on my battlefield visits or reading through books and in need of a map. Hopefully we will see some of the Atlanta Campaign this next summer.

Good to see the map for Lookout Mountain. But as stated above, I can't read some of the CS unit ID's without registering and downloading. What are the two CS units on the West of the Ridge and facing Ireland's Brigade?

My great-grandfather was in the skirmish line of Walthall's brigade stretched along Lookout Creek.
Dixie, which regiment of Walthall's brigade was your relative in.?

30th Mississippi, Company A

Quoting from Rowland's unit history:

Major James M. Johnson commanded the regiment in the battle of Lookout Mountain November 24, 1863. Under orders from General Walthall to support the picket line, they were under arms an hour before day. The firing on the picket line became general about nine in the morning, and Companies I and C, under Lieut. W. T. Loggins, of C, were sent forward, soon after which, as the picket line on the left gave way, the whole remainder of the regiment deployed as skirmishers to support it. But, though they checked the Federal advance at first, the weakness of their line was soon seen and they were brushed to the rear, though many officers and men clung to their posts in the rocks until surrounded and captured.

After reading Peter Cozzens' book "The Shipwreck of Their Hopes" and taking the NPS tour last Sunday, I have completely revised my conclusion about the position of the 30 Mississippi and the capture of my ancestor.

General Walthall sent out skirmishers to guard the Lookout Creek. The 34 Miss was placed along the Tennessee River and the mouth of Lookout Creek. The 24 & 27 Miss were held in reserve. There was a campsite and a stone wall line of defense about mid-way up the slope used by the 29 & 30 Miss. Their campsite was behind this defense line.
When the shooting began, General Walthall recalled the skirmishers of the 29 & 30 Miss to fortify the stone wall to block the advance of Geary's Division of 2200 men moving along the slope from the South.
Hooker sent another division to cross Lookout Creek that cut off the 34 Miss: 231 surrendered, only a dozen or so escaped. The 24 & 27 Miss was moved to support the 29 & 30 Miss as they fell back to the "spine" of the mountain.

Most of the MIA's of the 30 Mississippi regiment were taken at their defense line on the West slope---not in the valley.

Back