NF New Confederate uniform book 'Never In Rags'

Non-Fiction
Point is they were better uniformed than is commonly thought.

there are also accounts, records, reports, that suggest they were relatively well supplied - no, not always, but better than is widely believed.

"Point is they were better uniformed than is commonly thought"

I certainly agree with this if one's common thought was that ALL Confederate Soldiers were raggedly dressed, and ill supplied. Which I have never stated they all were.

"there are also accounts, records, reports, that suggest they were relatively well supplied - no, not always, but better than is widely believed."

Again I totally concur. Especially, as I stated above, if one's belief was that ALL Confederate Soldiers were raggedly dressed, and ill supplied at all times. Which was not the case, nor were ALL Confederate Soldiers at all times well clothed and well supplied, nor well fed.

Respectfully,
William
Civil War Flags.jpg

Johan,

If at anytime I called you a liar, I do apologize
If at anytime I called you a fool, I do apologize
If at anytime I disrespected you, I do apologize

If at anytime I made a reference that made you feel that I called you a liar, I do apologize
If at anytime I made a reference that made you feel that I called you a fool, I do apologize
If at anytime I made a reference that made you feel that I disrespected you, I do apologize

And I also apologize to the forum members, and to the thread host.

I have a habit of responding in kind as to how I am treated or as to how I see I am being treated, sometimes perhaps I respond too strongly and passionately.

Respectfully,
William
George Pickett.jpg

Thread reopened upon Moderator consensus. This is a book review thread. Be advised that there is a zero tolerance for thread derailment or personal attacks/insults. Violators will be deleted and thread banned.

This is a book that is a must have for those that are seriously interested in uniforms. The title was chosen to provoke, which I believe detracts from the purpose of the tome.

I completely agree with Legion Para that references/reviews from Les, Frederick and others might have been beneficial. He does have a forward from William Frassanito, who is recognized as an expert in ACW photography, but not sure about uniforms.

I am glad that I purchased the book and have used it a few times, to confirm clothing issues.

This is a book that is a must have for those that are seriously interested in uniforms. The title was chosen to provoke, which I believe detracts from the purpose of the tome.

I completely agree with Legion Para that references/reviews from Les, Frederick and others might have been beneficial. He does have a forward from William Frassanito, who is recognized as an expert in ACW photography, but not sure about uniforms.

I am glad that I purchased the book and have used it a few times, to confirm clothing issues.

I believe, no I know, this book and the other books to follow in the series are a must have for the War Between the States historian/buff. I have never doubted it's research, or contents, just how at times it was being "presented" on here by some members.

I am not sure why the title was chosen to provoke and I agree with Package4, it distracts. This book, and future volumes of the series need no provocative title or distractions to sell it. It will sell on it's on merits (Well researched, photos, drawings, paintings, and material included).

The authored has researched the subject well, and I hope to be able to add this book and the other volumes to my library.

IMHO it is a MUST have book and series....................

Respectfully,
William
Benner's Hill - Cementery Hill on Right - Culps Hill on left.jpg

The title, I believe, is deliberately provocative.
In the Italian Civil War forum, which I attended, a few years ago I opened a topic with this title:"The ragged Union soldiers". Of course, this was a provocative title, but I meant to demonstrate, through documents and photographs that even among the ranks of the Union there were ragged soldiers or without shoes, and also a non-uniform clothing on battle and campaing.

Could someone attach a couple of shots of pages from the book? Nothing to violate copyright, etc. I believe way back the author shared some information directly from the book, so I don't think a few pages would be troublesome. I'd just like to see how the book looks, etc. It's certainly on my must have list.

As I stated earlier today, I would like to know how sales for Volume 1 have gone and what are the plans for future volumes.
Legion Para. Many thanks for your concern regarding the sales of my book. At present, the first print (of several hundred copies) has sold out. I was also given 28 copies and 21 of these have sold as well. Many contributors to this thread have bought a copy. Volume 2, concentrating on Confederate Uniforms at Antietam,is almost ready. This, smaller volume, reveals some outstanding data. Whole Confederate Brigades receiving new English cloth uniforms in July/August 1862!

The first print has sold out. 2o or so copies have gone to Forum members who's reviews (on this site) have been excellent. My publisher is, at present, trying to negotiate a deal with a U.S. Distributor.
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I just came across this thread and I’m keen to get a hold of a copy of your fine book, “Never in Rags” and have tried to make contact with Military Book Publishing with no success.
I live in Edinburgh in Scotland and was hoping you could shed some light as to where I can buy your book.
Best regards from a cold and wet Edinburgh. Jim Paris

I contacted the publisher this afternoon and received this response:

Evening Randy

We are currently awaiting the authors decision as to how many to print but sadly he has had a death in the family so this has delayed things.

I would imagine it will be early January if we get the go ahead within December.

Regards

Dale

I purchased this fine book a few weeks ago and think Jeff has done a great job, backed up by pretty indisputable facts, with documentary evidence , eyewitness accounts and also many fine photographs which I think most enthusiasts are conversant with.
However, what made it stand out for me were the many fine photographs that he has taken. The subjects in the photographs and their uniforms make them look like authentic Southern soldiers.
I really look forward to seeing more of them in future books.
His uniforms are in my opinion spot on, having studied Confederate uniforms for many years and visited all theatres of that conflict and countless museums.
So well done Jeff on producing such a fine book. You obviously know your stuff and have laid it out for all to see.
I am aware of the great number of Britons from all parts of our island and Ireland who took part in this conflict.
Here in Edinburgh we have as far as I am aware the only American Civil War Monument outside of the U.S. dedicated to Scots soldiers who fought for the Union. We also have graves of a number of Scots Confederate Soldiers.
Add to that the 35 or more ships built on the River Clyde for the Confederacy then I think we can speak with a bit of authority on that war, which Jeff has certainly shown with his fine book.
A very impressed Scotsman.
I heartily recommend his book.

I have actually done some studying of the uniforms in the war, and I can back up what others have said about the "Ragged Rebel" being largely a myth.

Jackson's Valley Campaign and Lee's Northern Virginia campaign are the only times an Army in Virginia could have been described as ragged, and if I remember correctly Jackson's Valley Army wasn't so much because they didn't have shoes and uniforms, but the nature of the campaign meant they were out marching the wagons for most of it. The Federals pursuing Jackson had the exact same problem, they out marched supplies trying to keep up, so both sides were woefully ill clothed there.

Outside those two instances, there would be soldiers fitting the "Ragged Rebel" stereotype, however they were the exception, not the rule. In fact, ironically, Lee surrendered an ANV that was better clothed, better equipped, and more uniform than it had ever been.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the other theaters, but I haven't seen anything to suggest the above does not also apply to those Armies as well.

Just wondering if a decision was made to release this in the US or not.
The second print of the book has gone ahead (the first print having sold out in 3 months), and is now available worldwide. If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy please contact me as my wife and I have taken over the distribution.
A second work ‘Confederate Uniforms During The Maryland Campaign’ is to be released shortly. This book really is an eye opener, with numerous color plates, clothing issue tables, eyewitness accounts, photographic details and many facts that really are mind blowing. Ragged Rebs in Maryland? I think not!

The second print of the book has gone ahead (the first print having sold out in 3 months), and is now available worldwide. If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy please contact me as my wife and I have taken over the distribution.
A second work ‘Confederate Uniforms During The Maryland Campaign’ is to be released shortly. This book really is an eye opener, with numerous color plates, clothing issue tables, eyewitness accounts, photographic details and many facts that really are mind blowing. Ragged Rebs in Maryland? I think not!

Back