New Confederate uniform book 'Never In Rags'

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
In just one year, 1863, the huge amount of clothing listed below was distributed to just four Confederate regiments – 5th South Carolina Cavalry, 36th Virginia Infantry, 47th North Carolina Infantry and 63rd Georgia Infantry.

6223 Jackets and coats
8947 Pairs pants
7576 Pairs shoes and boots
8172 Shirts
7284 Pairs socks
7548 Pairs drawers
5504 Hats and caps

These issues were typical at this point in the War.

Still think Confederates were dressed in rags?

Introduction by leading Civil War Historian William Frassanito

HARDBACK £65.00

Plus P&P

Expired Image Removed

Jeff, When you get around to the Army of Tennessee in 1863-64, I have a fair amount of research that I would be willing to share if you would like. What you have done was something that I wanted to see done many years ago. Anyway, if I can be of any assistance let me know, I have a particular interest in CS Knapsacks, Cloth Shoes, and Painted Cloth Accoutrements. Also have some proof that does connect the Columbus Depot Styles Jacket with the Columbus Depot in the Fall of 1862.

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
@tullock:

Please give us an update on your multi volume series 'Never In Rags'.

Some random thoughts:

--I think sales on Volume 1 have been slow.

--I have seen nothing on future volumes being published.

--As I stated in one of my past posts, I didn't believe and still don't believe the publishing of this series to be economically sound. To limited of a market.

--Photographs of documented uniforms that were actually issued might have been beneficial to Volume 1.

--The information you present is not knew to some collectors and scholars. Statistics can be twisted to support any conclusion. While the Confederate Government did a much better job of manufacturing and supplying it's soldiers than many realized, that doesn't mean the Confederate soldier didn't go without and weren't ragged in the field. The countless number of wartime letters and diary entries confirm this.

--As with foodstuffs and munitions, uniforms couldn't always be transported to where the soldiers were and this is particularly true while on active campaigning.

--In later conflicts such as WW I, WW II and Viet Nam, the American front line soldier often went without and were ragged in the field. Uniforms and equipment were reissued to help with the shortages.

--Reviews by Les Jensen, Don Troiani, Fred Adolphus and a private collector who has studied Confederate uniforms for the past fifty years might have been beneficial.

Last edited:
Then you are saying the soldiers, in their several journals, were lying about the barefoot Confederates of Hood's Army Of Tennessee, and their bloody footprints in the snow in December of 1864? I think not.

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Then you are saying the soldiers, in their several journals, were lying about the barefoot Confederates of Hood's Army Of Tennessee, and their bloody footprints in the snow in December of 1864? I think not.
You should read the whole thread before making such a comment. Did it happen? Yes. Was it a frequent occurrence? No. The average CS soldier was a proud man who, typically, had both a housewife and the knowledge of how to use it.

There are ample period pictures of CS POWs taken just after being captured. I have yet to find a barefoot reb in one of those and precious few of men in rags. There is a difference between reality and Lost Cause myth.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
You should read the whole thread before making such a comment. Did it happen? Yes. Was it a frequent occurrence? No. The average CS soldier was a proud man who, typically, had both a housewife and the knowledge of how to use it.

There are ample period pictures of CS POWs taken just after being captured. I have yet to find a barefoot reb in one of those and precious few of men in rags. There is a difference between reality and Lost Cause myth.
Shoes wear out quickly on campaign. Both Confederate and Union soldiers at time wore worn out shoes or even went barefoot. This is particularly true because of the poor quality of some Confederate shoes. How often do we hear of poor barefoot Union soldiers? Yet some Union soldiers went barefoot . Much of this ragged, barefoot Confederates is over stated.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
if one read the official records about the gettysburg campaign, there are of mentions of Union soldiers without shoes before the battle.
Some units simply where close to the date where they should be issued news shoes. then the campagin started at it was not done. So they wore out...

Mentions of CSA soldiers without shoes don't show up until during the retreat.
(but they got plenty of issues with lack of horse shoes, and the artillery are loosing horses to this even before the battle)

This was not because the two sides did not have shoes... but it was a logistical issue where the armies was simply not able to issue them when the armies was in the field and marching daily.

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Shoes wear out quickly on campaign. Both Confederate and Union soldiers at time wore worn out shoes or even went barefoot. This is particularly true because of the poor quality of some Confederate shoes. How often do we hear of poor barefoot Union soldiers? Yet some Union soldiers went barefoot . Much of this ragged, barefoot Confederates is over stated.
Well said. US troops were often sans shoes as the shoes of the era wore out very quickly when compared to modern shoes. The men of the era were also often used to going without shoes across the summer & men of the Deep South sometimes went sans shoes all year long.

The western troops of 1864 after Nashville have been mentioned. Hood was at the end of a very long supply line and the QM of the western CS was considerably less effective, or competent, than their ANV counterparts. Hoods army after Nashville was in full retreat with their logistical base a wreck or running away ahead of the men who needed new shoes, jackets etc. But all in all throughout that campaign CS soldiers were not barefoot or in rags.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Getting clothing to soldiers who need it is an age old problem that still pips up in modern wars. My unit was in the desert for less that 5 months, yet our uniforns were going quickly. One of my soldiers had the soles come off his boots. If we did not have duck tape me would have been barefoot. I probably would not allowed this to occur and would have some how found a civilian shoe store that carried size 13EEE shoes. We were not going to get boots in that size from any army depot.

Oh Lord......................

LOL................

Looking at some of these post, it is clear the "yankee" history is......

The union army was......

Outnumbered
under supplied with food, clothes and arms
Their horses were thin as fence rails
Oh woe is me.......................

What about all those 1,000's of letters complaining of no shoes, or blankets, or tents ?

What of those letters from Union civilians speaking of "those ragged, dirty, shoe less rebels" ?

Ahhhhhhhhh thats right.............Let's just sweep them to the side, under the rug, and out of sight..........lol

If the Confederate Soldier was well supplied, let's put the true reason it was.......

Good old Uncle Sam............The yankee solder's and generals had a very hard time keeping control of their supplies, for some reason their supplies (food, clothing, arms) just could not retreat as fast as the soldiers could.

Now with all fun aside........

Was every Confederate soldier under supplied? shoe less? or arm less?.....................No.............But let's not LIE and make the Confederate armies the grandest, most well supplied armies in history.........

Respectfully,
William
Justice is Blind.JPG

Strangely though, all photographs of confederate soldiers, just caught and / or dead, show 99% of the shoes, something does not come back. Surely during the retreats or the end of a long military campaign the soldiers were not in the best conditions of clothing, equipment, and shoes, but I'm sure the same thing happened to unionist soldiers coming back from a long campaign. Surely the boys in blue had a higher frequency of spare parts.

Legion Para

Captain
Retired Moderator
Getting clothing to soldiers who need it is an age old problem that still pips up in modern wars. My unit was in the desert for less that 5 months, yet our uniforns were going quickly. One of my soldiers had the soles come off his boots. If we did not have duck tape me would have been barefoot. I probably would not allowed this to occur and would have some how found a civilian shoe store that carried size 13EEE shoes. We were not going to get boots in that size from any army depot.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Even in today's conflicts boots don't last long.

I remember one seven day mission where our uniforms were literally torn to shreds by the terrain we were going through. We were dam near naked when we extracted.

Combat adds wear and tear to uniforms.

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Oh Lord......................

LOL................

Looking at some of these post, it is clear the "yankee" history is......

The union army was......

Outnumbered
under supplied with food, clothes and arms
Their horses were thin as fence rails
Oh woe is me.......................

What about all those 1,000's of letters complaining of no shoes, or blankets, or tents ?

What of those letters from Union civilians speaking of "those ragged, dirty, shoe less rebels" ?

Ahhhhhhhhh thats right.............Let's just sweep them to the side, under the rug, and out of sight..........lol

If the Confederate Soldier was well supplied, let's put the true reason it was.......

Good old Uncle Sam............The yankee solder's and generals had a very hard time keeping control of their supplies, for some reason their supplies (food, clothing, arms) just could not retreat as fast as the soldiers could.

Now with all fun aside........

Was every Confederate soldier under supplied? shoe less? or arm less?.....................No.............But let's not LIE and make the Confederate armies the grandest, most well supplied armies in history.........

Respectfully,
William
View attachment 143434
I have actually read thousands of letters and diaries. Have you? I readily admit most are of US soldiers and rarely is their mention of your mythical ragged rebel with such low self respect that he would wear rags.

I have also studied every CDV I could find of soldiers in the field. When it comes to CS soldiers in the field they are usually POWs. These are pictures easily looked at on line, I expect you could use google if you were really interested in research. I'll take photo evidence & actual research over your Lost Cause approved narrative any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Respectfully... If we're being honest you're not.