New Collector

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Cciafox950

Cadet
Just turning 70 and decided to collect some Civil War items. Wonder how to I get some help with researching some serial numbers of items I own. For example Smith Carbine and 1862 Army Colt. Looking forward to learning more about collecting by reading the forums.

luinrina

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Greetings from Germany and welcome aboard from The Traveler's Companion and Other Notable Biographies forum! :smile:

We have several collectors as members and I'm certain someone will be along shortly with more info for you. :smile:

Welcome,enjoy. Better late then never. Serial numbers are in most cases hard to track down. There is the SRS (Springfield Research Service) books. They hold probably less then 10% of the numbers and would not give you the name of the person only his unit. Diaries, letters and rosters hold some more info. 1862 Army Colt ???? Did you mean 1860? If you want to list serial numbers I or one of the other folks will look to see if listed.

Hussar Yeomanry

Sergeant
Welcome from the UK and from The First Bull Run/ Manassas Forum

As to your specific question as people have said I would post some photos and your query in the Weapons and Ammunition forum. That is where the relevant people hang out.

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! I can't help with the Smith, but you can look up the Colt information by serial number at https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup. Meanwhile, join in our conversations: new perspectives are always appreciated! Enjoy!