NF New Civil War Movie "Into the Wilderness" Being Made for 2019

Non-Fiction

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
wilderness-poster-card-nfg-05292018-m003.jpg

A new movie focusing on the American Civil War will film in Knoxville and is looking for locals to take part in the project.
he film, called "Into the Wilderness," is being developed by New Film Group, LLC, and director Richard De Witt.

It will portray the Civil War's Battle of the Wilderness, and "the story of a war-hardened Confederate soldier from North Carolina who is faced with a life-changing decision in the heat of battle," according to a press release from the Visit Knoxville Film Office.

De Witt's biography on IMDB.com says the film's "script is based on the Battle of the Wilderness during the American Civil War and is a character driven Thriller / Black Comedy that will go into production, in Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina ..."

Principal photography for the film is set to begin in September and continue through October, and the film is slated to debut in 2019, according to the press release.

SOURCE: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/ente...g-call-gage-talent-into-wilderness/694283002/

Looks like one Civil War battle (besides Gettysburg) is finally getting a big screen adaptation.
Looks like the battle is secondary in this flick:
May 5, 1864, Battle of the Wilderness, Cumberland Gap Campaign, American Civil War - Jeremiah Bowman, a nine-year-old slave boy, loves to wander free in the forest. Only this time, he finds himself trapped between Confederate and Union lines. Just as all hell breaks loose, Samuel Barnett, a Confederate soldier with deeply-held Southern convictions, risks his life to save he child. Together, from that moment on, the two unlikely companions take a journey home through the ethereal back country of America and a parallel wilderness. Written by Richard De Witt

Hmmm....I wonder how this one will turn out. It does sound like the battle is secondary to the story between the two characters.

I think it is really difficult to portray a (major) Civil War battle. The sizes of the armies, the confusion, the terrain, etc. Having a few extras, even many extras can't convey the magnitude of, say, Pickett's Charge. And trying to convey the reality of the Wilderness battle would be a nightmare. Perhaps I am wrong; since with computerized graphics, etc. of today, maybe it can be done.

I think it is really difficult to portray a (major) Civil War battle. The sizes of the armies, the confusion, the terrain, etc. Having a few extras, even many extras can't convey the magnitude of, say, Pickett's Charge. And trying to convey the reality of the Wilderness battle would be a nightmare. Perhaps I am wrong; since with computerized graphics, etc. of today, maybe it can be done.
Looks like they'll be doing another Civil War movie on a grander scale with famous actors-see my posts about "The Emperor" I would only hope it goes well then maybe they'll make a sequel/saga series from it!

I love the potential in this storyline. The premier theme will be the development of the relationship between the 2 protaganists on their journey together and to what extent the soldier's southern convictions are challenged by the black child. Fantastic possibilities!

Back