New Civil War Era Slavery Movie "Antebellum" (Time-Travel Thriller) coming April 24, 2020!

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
A woman travels back in time to the 1800s to solve a mystery in Antebellum
The film is from the same producer who brought us Get Out and Us.

Another glimpse of it:
A modern-day social activist finds herself traveling back in time to the 1800s in Antebellum, a new horror drama written and directed by Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz. It's produced by Sean McKittrick, who also co-produced Get Out (2017) and Us (2019). McKittrick and company have been holding their cards pretty close to their chest regarding specific details about the film, and this latest trailer is no exception. But what little we do know about the premise bears a striking resemblance to science fiction author Octavia E. Butler's 1979 novel Kindred.
The official premise is short and sweet: "Successful author Veronica Henley (Janelle Monáe) finds herself trapped in a horrifying reality and must uncover the mind-bending mystery before it's too late." When the first teaser dropped last November, it didn't shed much more light on the matter. It was little more than ominous music playing over brief glimpses of footage and a voiceover asking repeatedly, "9-1-1, what is your emergency?"
It was clear, however, that Veronica was shifting between the 1800s and the present day. The cast also includes Marque Richardson II, Eric Lange, Jack Huston, Kiersey Clemons, Tongayi Chirisa, Gabourey Sidibe, Rob Aramayo, Lily Cowles, and Jena Malone, although their specific roles remain unknown.
This latest trailer sheds a bit more light on Veronica's character and opens with her giving an inspiring speech. "We're expected to be seen, not heard," she tells an enthusiastic crowd. "But we are the future. Our time is now." She's a sociologist, an activist, and a bestselling author. But one night she sees a little blonde girl in 19th-century garb standing in the hotel hallway. "I can tell you're special," we hear a woman say. And then Veronica is kidnapped and shoved into a car.
Cut to Veronica in a tattered green dress with a checkered bandana on her head, in the middle of a cotton field. Slaves are hard at work under the watchful eye of soldiers who don't seem hesitant to use violence to keep their charges in line. "The world has to find out...
Rest of Article: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...antebellum-keeps-details-shrouded-in-mystery/

Last edited:
What's the official policy on spoilers on this forum? I mean, I've heard there are things in that movie that are not what they seem. things that I doubt would be feasible in the real world.

A modern-day social activist finds herself traveling back in time to the 1800s in Antebellum

I've always enjoyed SF stories based around time travel. This looks exciting, but I have noticed that many authors use time travel as a convenient way to explore their personal interest in a certain period of history. Seems a little contrived somehow. Like how many time travel stories conveniently send the protagonist back to 18th century Scotland or WW2 Europe.

Just one of my pet peeves -- sorry!

Roy B.

Back