New Chamberlain Picture?

History36

Private
602039_479494382149285_1488138605_n12.jpg

602039_479494382149285_1488138605_n20.jpg

As stated in the Library of Congress, this image 'may' be JL Chamberlain during the Grand Review for reasons:

The individual has:

- Slouch hat,
- The mustache (though common for the era),
- Appears to have shorter (below the knee) boots,
- And, he is carrying a bouquet of flowers.

All of which noted in Chamberlain's primary source material. Any insight / thought on the attached images, just out of curiosity? To help view the face, keep in mind the face is somewhat hidden from the shade from the sun from his left side under the slouch hat. The Library of Congress also stated that it may be General Horatio Wright and his 6th Army Corps. However, there is another confirmed image of General Wright during this parade, but the position of the rider and the entire marching column of soldiers are situated completely differently than where / how this particular image of the individual was taken. In other words, same angle from the same photographer, but clearly two different military units. I can post comparison shots to illustrate if anyone's interested. Thank you for your time...

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the flowers and the horse and it does look like his feet are hanging without stirrups. The rest looks like a storm front coming through the east coast on radar to me - I'm sorry - just not seeing it.

Well, might be. Looks like Charlemagne, his war horse, with the blaze down the nose, and the bouquet looks like he's holding it by something like a handle. The rider's feet - one is in the stirrups the other isn't - they're just regular stirrups, not with a cover on. There's an epaulet, too. The face is really hard to see and as long as I stare at it I can't make out Joshua Chamberlain! Sure looks like his horse, though, and nobody but Chamberlain is going to be riding that horse in that parade.

Then again it might be Greedo! :D

Hi folks,

I totally agree - I too had to stare at the face for like a half hour without blinking before the image finally began to materialize somewhat, lol. I just found it interesting that the Library of Congress listed the image as potentially being JL Chamberlain. Once more, the face is hidden under the shadow of the hat. Just curious to get the image out there and see reviews / feedback...:wink:

Mike Serpa - exactly! Thank you for pointing out the mustache for the good folks to see! Two thumbs way up, my friend. :thumbsup:

There was another report that it 'could' be General Horatio Wright. However, I couldn't find any primary source info as of yet regarding Gen. Wright been given a bouquet of flowers as JLC had. I'm also trying to find someone who may be willing to colorize this image, perhaps. This is what historical research is all about - uncovering any and all clues. I love it, I love it. If anyone knows of someone who may be able to colorize this image, please let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back