NF New Book on Johnson Impeachment due out May 21, 2019

Non-Fiction
Here is what the Times preview says:

The Impeachers: The Trial of Andrew Johnson and the Dream of a Just Nation,' by Brenda Wineapple (Random House, May 21)

With the question of impeachment more timely than ever, Wineapple turns to the first presidential impeachment, of Johnson in 1868. A noted biographer, Wineapple brings the era and its personalities — Frederick Douglass, Ulysses S. Grant, Thaddeus Stevens — to life​

I'm not sure its been many years. I have David O. Stewart's Impeached: The Trial of President Andrew Johnson and the Fight for Lincoln's Legacy which was published in 2009 IIRC.

Pat. Are you familiar with former Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, William Rehnquist's book on the Johnson Impeachment? It is an outstanding book. I would be interested in having you do a book review on the book. David.

From the Christian Science Monitor:

The first president that Congress attempted to remove from office was Andrew Johnson in 1868. Brenda Wineapple’s history of Johnson and the Reconstruction era’s bitter partisanship serve as a corrective to anyone mistaking the end of the Civil War as a period of calm.

Pat. The political history and story about this impeachment is absolutely fascinating. David.

Yes. I read several of the new books published since 2017 on the law of impeachment and they all more or less ignored the Johnson situation, which was disappointing. I ordered this new book and I will let folks know how it is.

Back