NF New book on Grant coming in 2022

Non-Fiction
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always welcome a book based on original sources. Hopefully these haven't been covered before.

One line in the synopsis of the book does make me hesitate to purchase it.
"Unbeknownst to most students of the war, Grant used his official reports, interviews with the press, and his memoirs to influence how future generations would remember the war and his part in it."
I'm quite sure that most of us read official reports, press accounts and memoirs about any historical figure with this in mind, including Grant.

Maybe I'll wait until a few others have read and reviewed the book.

The book is written by Frank Varney, who's first book was General Grant and the Rewriting of History.

Varney is a Rosecrans fan who's scholarship has been discussed and criticized here. There are numerous inaccuracies in his first book, and likely the second book won't be much better. He's one of the modern anti-Grant writers, trying to knock Grant down a few pegs in order to make his own hero look better.

Ned Baldwin, a member of this forum, wrote some blog posts which detailed some of the inaccuracies in Varney's first book. They can be found at this site: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/2013/12/06/frank-varney-and-the-rewriting-of-history/

Additional inaccuracies have been shown in previous threads here, for anyone who might want to do a search.

When I saw the word "New" in the title, I immediately thought it would be a book that tries to attack his character or accomplishments. Looks like I was right.

From the article: But has he received too much credit at the expense of other men? Have others who fought the war with him suffered unfairly at his hands?

When I saw the word "New" in the title, I immediately thought it would be a book that tries to attack his character or accomplishments. Looks like I was right.

From the article: But has he received too much credit at the expense of other men? Have others who fought the war with him suffered unfairly at his hands?
Any book - or website post for that matter- should be judged by its documentation.
Frank Varney -much maligned by some on this site- is a Cornell history PhD and recently retired from teaching. He came to academia later in his life and possibly with a more open mind than those who entered the academy at a younger age.

"Unbeknownst to most students of the war, Grant used his official reports, interviews with the press, and his memoirs to influence how future generations would remember the war and his part in it."

Is that supposed to be a revelation? What general didn't? And, "unbeknownst" to what "students of the war?" We're not that naive, though Mr Varney may think we are.

The book is written by Frank Varney, who's first book was General Grant and the Rewriting of History.

Varney is a Rosecrans fan who's scholarship has been discussed and criticized here. There are numerous inaccuracies in his first book, and likely the second book won't be much better. He's one of the modern anti-Grant writers, trying to knock Grant down a few pegs in order to make his own hero look better.

Ned Baldwin, a member of this forum, wrote some blog posts which detailed some of the inaccuracies in Varney's first book. They can be found at this site: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/2013/12/06/frank-varney-and-the-rewriting-of-history/

Additional inaccuracies have been shown in previous threads here, for anyone who might want to do a search.

Thanks

I liked this one too

And this one was ok

Ahh the good old days when I actually had more time

Is that supposed to be a revelation? What general didn't? And, "unbeknownst" to what "students of the war?" We're not that naive, though Mr Varney may think we are.
Might be helpful to wait until you’ve actually read Dr Varney’s book. Mr Baldwin however frowns on that. Comment first. Finish reading book later his policy.

*Edited* I assume you’ve never actually published anything except comments on websites. But rather than have this descend into yet another verbal food fight shall we wait for the book to be published before judging it?

Last edited by a moderator:
One
Might be helpful to wait until you’ve actually read Dr Varney’s book. Mr Baldwin however frowns on that. Comment first. Finish reading book later his policy.
don’t need to read an entire book to know it’s bad
After finishing it, nothing changed in my conclusion other than that I had wasted more time. One should not have to be forced to sit through something bad just to satisfy your gluttony for badly documented attack pieces

*Edited*
Why do you continue to push an author who violated your alleged scholarly standards? *Edited*

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually owe Mr Baldwin debt. In the article you posted I discussed Iuka with him in the comments section. I decided to revisit Iuka and discovered things I didn’t know. ( By revisit I mean researching letters, diaries and other primary sources) What I found only bolstered the case for Rosecrans and against Grant in the battle. No one should accept this just because I say it but should judge the evidence objectively (which can be a tough thing for some) Hopefully that evidence will be published in the next year or so.
I was defending Cornell against what might be called a slander by someone who doesn’t like the conclusions of one of its graduates. If that’s being arrogant I plead guilty.

I actually owe Mr Baldwin debt. In the article you posted I discussed Iuka with him in the comments section. I decided to revisit Iuka and discovered things I didn’t know. ( By revisit I mean researching letters, diaries and other primary sources) What I found only bolstered the case for Rosecrans and against Grant in the battle. No one should accept this just because I say it but should judge the evidence objectively (which can be a tough thing for some) Hopefully that evidence will be published in the next year or so.
I was defending Cornell against what might be called a slander by someone who doesn’t like the conclusions of one of its graduates. If that’s being arrogant I plead guilty.
You promised the published evidence 3 or 4 years ago. When will it be available, realistically?

... someone who doesn’t like the conclusions of one of its graduates. If that’s being arrogant I plead guilty.
Its not his conclusions I didnt like and you know that,
but yet you continue to insist on making this false statements about me.

Arrogant is not the right word for that pattern of behavior.

Is it better than Ron Chenow's book? If so I might read it.
I think Chernow’s book ( I’ve only skimmed the parts that discuss topics I’m most interested in) is more of a survey history and emphasizes his post military career. It’s pretty superficial on Iuka and Corinth admittedly two battles most general readers have never heard of. Frank Varney’s first book is a more specialized study of Grant’s Memoirs and how they have influenced people’s perception of other Civil War figures particularly William Rosecrans. It’s scholarly history and not for everyone. I think his forthcoming book will look at Gouvernour Warren’s treatment by Grant. You’ll have to decided how deep you want to get into this topic. You’ll discover the number of people you can discuss these topics with is relatively small. However there is something to be said for trying to determine “ historical truth.”

You promised the published evidence 3 or 4 years ago. When will it be available, realistically?
The hardest thing is to stop doing research. Few things are as pleasurable- and moving- as going into a library and reading letters and diary entries written by the actual participants in the events I write about. The closure of almost all research libraries has impeded my research but I have enough to write a book and defend my conclusions about Grant and Rosecrans at Iuka. There is also an increasing number of materials available on line.
Basically I want to gather as much primary source evidence to bolster my conclusions. In case you haven’t noticed there are some who believe the Grant side of the story.
I have written a number of chapters. I also want to write a chapter about whether people should even care about Iuka.
The less fun but essential job is to document and footnote the book. That can’t really be done until the entire book in written.
Hopefully a year from now I’ll have a completed manuscript.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back