New Bio of Dahlgren

DaveBrt

1st Lieutenant
Received my 2020 US Naval Institute Press Catalog today and find the below book that will be of interest to many:

A Quest for Glory/A Biography of Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren
Robert J. Schneller Jr.
476 pages, available March 2020, paperback, 60 b&w photos and drawings, 6 maps, $29.95

The author has a PhD in military history from Duke U. and worked 20+ years as an official historian at the Naval History and Heritage Command. He has published 8 books and received several awards.

"Drawing on Dahlgren's meticulously kept diaries and records and recently uncovered family papers, Schneller describes with a biographer's sensitivity and a historian's perspective the admiral's many technical triumphs as well as the plots, duels, intrigues, and betrayals of Dahlgren's life."

Received my 2020 US Naval Institute Press Catalog today and find the below book that will be of interest to many:

A Quest for Glory/A Biography of Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren
Robert J. Schneller Jr.
476 pages, available March 2020, paperback, 60 b&w photos and drawings, 6 maps, $29.95

The author has a PhD in military history from Duke U. and worked 20+ years as an official historian at the Naval History and Heritage Command. He has published 8 books and received several awards.

"Drawing on Dahlgren's meticulously kept diaries and records and recently uncovered family papers, Schneller describes with a biographer's sensitivity and a historian's perspective the admiral's many technical triumphs as well as the plots, duels, intrigues, and betrayals of Dahlgren's life."
Looks like the paperback of the hardbound 1996 book. I don't have it but I've heard that it's well-done.

Being a cannon cockier got to get it. Thanks

If you pick it up, look for the prewar incident that almost resulted in an "affair of honor" between Dahlgren and shipmate Henry Walke (misidentified as "Walker," a common error). The cause is somewhat mysterious, probably since it was later resolved without bloodshed; but one wonders what might have happened to U.S. and Union naval ordnance had Dahlgren died in a duel...

Back