New Atlanta Campaign Forum

I visited the Atlanta History Center yesterday. Their Civil War collection is spectacular and I was able to attended a "living history" presentation by a gentleman portraying a Confederate soldier. I then went on the Battle of Atlanta "Pub" tour. The tour was OK as an overview of the battle but, even at 4 hours, it can't really do the battle justice.

Chattahooch, today is the battle of peeachtree creek.I think we should have seen a post from you today.This was to be the start of good things for John Bell Hood, but we know what appended

I saw @William Bechmann added a post that is well done here:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/battle-of-peachtree-creek.102192/#post-914620

In the future I will try to get there to do an in depth "tour".
Please take no offense as none is intended.I am also a big fan of the Atlanta Campaign but i thought today you would be there as it is the 150th anniversary of Peachtree creek.
I am following William Beechmans thread and enjoying it very much.His photo's are a great a real nice touch.I really liked the photo of the millstones from Collirs Mill.

Chattahooch33,

I placed my "Battle of Peachtree Creek" thread in the Traveler's Companion forum.

I debated to place my thread in this forum but my main focus is a tour in pictures of certain battlefields and sites.

My tours are designed for the individual(s) planning a trip or individual(s) not able to tour a site.

Bill

Please take no offense as none is intended.I am also a big fan of the Atlanta Campaign but i thought today you would be there as it is the 150th anniversary of Peachtree creek.
I am following William Beechmans thread and enjoying it very much.His photo's are a great a real nice touch.I really liked the photo of the millstones from Collirs Mill.

I would have lived to be there but I couldn't make it. My reenacting unit did our annual event in East Atlanta Saturday night and this morning for the Battle of Atlanta so my wife had me locked up today. :smoke:

looking forward to this subject,am very interested in the Ezra church action. I feel that this action did great damage to the confederate will to fight. Cant wait to read other people opion.

Great forum Chattahooch33.
I am following my ancestor who made it through the battle of Kennesaw Mountain with the U.S. 12th Missouri Infantry and was wounded before the battle of Ezra Church on 7/28/1864. Trying to unravel the situation on 7/23/1864. Any comments on the troop movements would be appreciated.

What Atlanta Campaign Forum wouldn't need a begining at Rocky Face Ridge? This was the first of the Atlanta Campaign battles and set the stage for the flanking manuevers that would be indicative of the campaign. With nearly 100,000 men Sherman began his march into north Georgia on May 4th with Johnston opposing him with a little over 55,00 maybe as high as 60,000. The Confederates had well fortified their position along the 10 mile stretch of rock known as Rocky Face Ridge. The Union had Thomas in the center McPherson on the right and Shcofield on the left. The way I see it, there is no way that Johnston could expect a headlong assault on a ridge so well defended and fortified. So what could Johnston have done differently to help guard against what was sure to be a flanking manuever that was coming? It seems to me that he (Johnston) had all his eggs in the same basket because he only had the one basket. He simply did not have the troop strength to protect both of his flanks. McPherson alone had over 25,000 men to the south. Any thoughts?

attachment.jpg

Last edited:
Back